UK Chamaedorea radicalis forest

Dave Brown
Site Admin

UK Chamaedorea radicalis forest

Post by Dave Brown »

I bought a small clump of Chamaedorea radicalis mail order from the Palm Centre back in around 2000. I grew it on and planted out in 2004.
120407 C radicans.jpg

Since that time it has grown slowly but has flowered and set seed twice. The first lot were mostly knocked off by strong winter gales, and so I only had a handful of ripe seed. I sowed these and all but one rotted, but I think I had them too wet. The one that grew was quite a robust grower. In 2006 the clump had 2 complete flower spikes which made it through the winter of 2006/7 without any fruit dropping.

one of the two branches of ripening fruit in May 2007
120507 Chamaedorea radicalis.jpg
The fruit was harvested in early June and sown using the baggy method, but with a more open mix. They were just placed in an unheated prop, which fluctuated between 20 and 27C. To date I have had 76 of these germinate and have potted them on in small clumps of 5 or 6 per pot. This increases the chances of having both sexes in the pot, so they should be breeding clumps.

This pic is in mid August 2007 with the 2006 seedling palm (large one) together with the first of the 2007 seedlings.
150807 Chamaedorea radicalis 01.jpg
During the late summer and early autumn many more seedlings have emerged. Pic below was tsken 4th November. The large seedling (top right) in the 2006 seedling. The (top left) next to it is the Trunked radicalis given by GARYnNAT, but from Peter Richardson seed. This is clearly a more delicate slower growing form, as the two are roughly the same age within a month or so. To the front are the pots of 2007 seedlings.
031107 Chamaedorea radicalis forest.jpg
This palm would seem to be a good candidate for naturalising in the wetter parts of the UK.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mark »

You mean Gt Yarmouth...Dave I had no idea it was that hardy. It is the Parlour palm isn't it ?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mark wrote:You mean Gt Yarmouth...Dave I had no idea it was that hardy. It is the Parlour palm isn't it ?
Wetter, not underwater :roll: :roll: elegans is the Parlour palm and is quite happy in my unheated cover courtyard, but doesn't like frost. Radicalis is from mountainous areas and is reputed to be hardy to -12C. Mine has withstood -5C. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Gaz »

thanks for the updates Dave, This is one we have been considering, and will have to have a look out for during 2008.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I got 4 of these from Nigel a few weeks ago - nice little plants. I'm keeping them under wraps for now, but they are growing quite quickly, all 4 are making new leaves.

I like the idea of a forest of them Dave!
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Dave,
were is Nigel's nursery does he have Nova for sale.
Tony
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I should have got one when we had the chance :roll: definitely for 2008.

Are you going to sell some of your seedlings later on?
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Tony
Nigels place is

http://www.hardypalms.co.uk/

comes highly recomended :D :D

Gary
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

I've left mine out in the ground for the first time this winter. I think its about four years old now.

Dave, I have a few C. seifrzii and C. metallica seedlings the same age/size as your C. radicalis. PM me if you'd like to do some swapsies :D
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

The tall radicallis that I grew from Peter Richardsons seed are growing well here, I know some of you guys had some off me, how are they doing?
I also have C. metallica, grown from seed this year, will bring some to wisley if we can make it :D

Gary
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Gary,

Thanks for that it is a good site isn't it.
Tony
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Ive had C. radicalis in the ground for a few years, its fine with overhead protection, mine is in the form of the boos. The only time it got hammered was when it trunked up and poked its head up over the fence.
C. Metallica is no good at all outside.
I have C. microspadix outside too and that seems even hardier than radicalis but tends to be a slug magnet.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Adrian
given that you live in southhampton, i dont feel comfortable with that being a good barometer for hardy palms, is there anyone in the north who has had success with chamaedorea types,
Tony.
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

My little pot of them are doing well Dave... currently having a luxury life in the conservatory, they have no idea whats instore for them next spring.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

lucienc wrote:My little pot of them are doing well Dave... currently having a luxury life in the conservatory, they have no idea whats instore for them next spring.
:shock: They can't be any bigger than 6" will you just lose them under any small weed :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright