UK Chamaedorea radicalis forest

themes

Re: UK Chamaedorea radicalis forest

Post by themes »

They grow quicker in full sun and they are very adaptable. Leaves may get burnt though. I think they look better in deep shade..I have plenty of that. Very dark...they will grow icon_thumleft. Go for it! post some pics when they arrive as I was interested in getting some of the bigger specimens from the palm house. I would be interested to see how big they are!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Keith, Ash trees will suck the ground dry. It may appreciate the shade but not the competition for moisture. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

They will grow in deep shade as mine did for several years but Ive split and moved them into more light in recent years, although they grew in deep shade ans surrounded by other plants I couldnt appreciate them unless I got in amoungst them.
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

Sure thing themes, I will keep you posted.

It is actually quite moist under the trees Dave because we are at the lowest point in the street and the garden slopes away downwards sligtly so water always collects at the bottom when it rains, even when we have had no rain for a while it is still damp.

Thanks for the advice, looking forward to the day when they arrive.

Keith
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

I'm defitenely want to try this one to over here, great palm for sure! icon_cheers
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I had my fisrt self sown Chamaedorea radicalis this year. I first noticed it in May with just a single leaf. I was going to pot it up but Ade suggested leaving it where it was, so I've done that. It has grown incredibly slowly and after a full warm summer it now has two leaves. I suppose the real triumph is that it germinated at all after last winter icon_thumright

31st May 2009
300509 Palm seedling.jpg
20th Nov 2009
20091120 Chamaedorea radicalis.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

How will you protect it over winter Dave - cut-off coke bottle or something?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mick C wrote:How will you protect it over winter Dave - cut-off coke bottle or something?
I hadn't thought about protecting as I put 1 year seedlings out against the front wall last summer and were covered in snow for 11 days last winter. All came through fine, however, against the north wall is probably more sheltered. This one has overhead cover from a Dicksonia a. That may be enough. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by mixiepalms »

Dave Brown wrote:I had my fisrt self sown Chamaedorea radicalis this year. I first noticed it in May with just a single leaf. I was going to pot it up but Ade suggested leaving it where it was, so I've done that. It has grown incredibly slowly and after a full warm summer it now has two leaves. I suppose the real triumph is that it germinated at all after last winter icon_thumright

31st May 2009
300509 Palm seedling.jpg
20th Nov 2009
20091120 Chamaedorea radicalis.jpg

Well done Dave, quite an achievement. Yet again amazed by what you seem to achieve. Only just got my first radicalis this year thanks to Steve the lizard.

Mixie
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Dave Brown wrote: I hadn't thought about protecting as I put 1 year seedlings out against the front wall last summer and were covered in snow for 11 days last winter. All came through fine, however, against the north wall is probably more sheltered. This one has overhead cover from a Dicksonia a. That may be enough. :wink:
That's interesting, they must be tougher than I thought. I have a juvenile Chamaedorea in a pot, about 3 years old. Maybe I'll plant it out next spring.

Is yours planted out Mixie?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Well done Dave you must be so proud of yourself, I know I would be to achieve something like that, again well done, I take my hat off to you.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith »

How have the Chamaedorea Radicalis and Chamaedorea Microspadix coped with winter? Anyone brave enough to grow them through winter unprotected?

I have a couple of Radicalis and a couple of Microspadix from George at Palm House but they are the small £7.00 plants in 1L pots.

http://www.thepalmhouse.co.uk/chamaedorea.html
Adam

Post by Adam »

i got those plants too andrew can i ask you have your chamadoreas grown really fast because i got 3 radicalis's and 1 microspadix and yoyu wouldnt believe it but the radicalis's have grown ruddy fast and i mean a whole new leaf in two months, are yours growing as fast and oddly the microspadix is growing slower than the radicalis plants :?:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have two clumps. One the parent clump which produces the seed, and the other a 2006 seedling, with a few 2007 seedlings, all home grown from seed collected off the mother plants.

They have some damage, but mainly wind damage while frozen. The wind snaps the frozen leaflets off. :roll: I'll post up some pics later.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Andrew Smith »

Adam, yes my C. Radicalis seems to have grown a new leaf over the past month, but not much has happened with my C. Microspadix. Although I did try and kill it!!!!!! I left them both in the garden in their pots in full sun for about a week. Not much damage to Radicalis, but most of the leaves on Microspadix went White.

They are now in the kitchen recovering. I got them from Palm House for £7.00 each so they are very small. I will need to find a shady spot in the garden for them.

Dave, look forward to seeing the photos.