Trachycarpus latisectus?

John P

Re: Trachycarpus latisectus?

Post by John P »

Robin I would be pleased to show you round. You can contact me on here, Growing On The Edge or the EPS.

John
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

bodster wrote:talking of unusual trachycarpus. Is anyone else growing trachycarpus princeps (the blue one not the green nova)?
I got a proper blue princeps from Koba Koba (it had 3 strap leaves) in 2007, it has spent it's life with me in the greenhouse, and now had 4 or 5 proper (small) leaves and a lovely blue tinge.

I bought 100 true blue seeds last year, and currently have 3 seedlings.

I have 2 sp.nova's as well. One from Koba Koba and one from Hardy Palms. The Nova's are outside, going to plant the Koba Koba one out properly this year.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

John P wrote:I have just posted a thread on the EPS forum http://www.palmsociety.org.uk/ about my survivers from the severe cold spell at the start of the new year. The latisectus took a hit, looks less lush than it did before Xmas but it is still alive. It took -9C with some sacking over it. I have no overhead cannopy which may have helped. It seems to get hardier each year but I could do with a mild winter to really get it going.

A princeps was mentioned as well. Mine has a little bit of damage but I think is okay. It seems hardier than latisectus.

My maniper took a hit.
[

All pictures were taken in the last few days.

John

Did this latisectus actually survive -9 in the end and recover?
Simba

Post by Simba »

For me, Latisectus is a beautiful Trachycarpus form, as good as any.

Latisectus
This gorgeous little Latisectus came from from Red Squirrel. It completely defoliated last December as our temperatures plunged down to -15, but has bounced back so well this year..

Definately a favourite of mine..... icon_thumleft
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

it looks brilliant mate icon_thumright
mine didnt come back :cry: but will continue to watch yours flourishing despite that awful cold spell set back. great stuff Kev icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

redsquirrel wrote:it looks brilliant mate icon_thumright
mine didnt come back :cry: but will continue to watch yours flourishing despite that awful cold spell set back. great stuff Kev icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

Yes a great come back, bit like a washy in that respect I guess. When it gets to a decent size it will be amazing.
icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft