Trachycarpus Nova

col

Re: Trachycarpus Nova

Post by col »

As mentioned earlier, here are a couple more pics of my 'Nova':

I don't know Trachies as well as some on this forum, but I could put my pink bits on the block and say maybe its me that has the real T.Nova :D

Col
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

OK so Nigel knows his novas and hes convinced its 100% nova but I fully disagree, Id say it certainly isnt one, certainly not like the novas we all have. Surely cutting off all the leaves isnt going to make that much of a difference to the look.
Yours looks like a regular fortunei by the photos Col, sorry but thats how I see it at the moment.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

This is Trachycarpus nova (or the green form princeps)
Attachments
IMG_2752 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2753 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2754 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2755 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2756 (Medium).JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Sorry, Col,

But that looks like a standard fortunei to me. It is a much more open fan and robust leaflets. The Nova I have is a much narrower fan with thin leaflets, which is why it is not very wind tolerant :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by col »

OK guys, I concede - it looks like I was sold a lemon :(

Really annoying, as I bought it off a regular website and not as if I took a risk on eBay or anything like that. I will drop an email to this guy in Sheffield (Paradise Palms) and ask him to show me why he thinks its a Nova. If he's got reason, he'll tell me.

Col :(
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

It looks like Ade and Dave could be right I’d better hold back for the time being, looks like I will end up paying top dollar for one! I hope it turns out OK for you Col.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Palmer, your of the same mind as me, all these members saying that they have them and then it turns out that they are not what they were hoping for, I've been following this thread for some time as I also wont a few of them, and like you don't wont to end up with the wrong palm, I already have about eight of Trachycarpus Fortunei so don't really wont to end up with the same, but since I've now seen the last two photo's I now have a better idea of what to look out for, I am hoping Akamba have some there

:?:
icon_sunny Nick icon_sunny
Vic

Post by Vic »

Blimey.. this has been a busy thread since i last looked in!

Here is my 4 year old 'Nova' in the last 6 months the emerging leaves have gone from being very soft and easily bent to holding shape better as you can see in the pic, also the leaf size has increased alot. This will get planted out next month, it will be interesting if it maintains good spped on growth in the ground as his has done in the pot. This one spear pulled last winter (low of -4.5c)and recovered well, it stayed in the greenhouse this year though. My planted out 'nova' seems to be fine even though we had much lower temp (-8.9c in jan) icon_scratch , although there is still plently of time for some spear pulling.

Ade you really need to repot yours matey :ahhh!:

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yeah I know Vic, to be honest I got it from Nigel just before he was deported in case mine in the ground didnt make it.
So do you think it will end up more fortunei looking Vic?

Maybe Cols is a 'nova' but at a later stage.
Yours is the most advanced 'nova' Ive seen.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Yes Ade, i think it will look similar to fortunei but with longer petioles, thin trunk and a 'martianus' look about it. Garry from cold plant sent me a pic of an adult Nova, i think it will make an interesting addition to our gardens.
col

Post by col »

Ade - I hope you don't mind me doctoring an earlier picture of yours :D :
As far as I can see, the biggest difference that won't change with growth is the profile of the leaf. Looking at the Nova pictures from Ade, Dave et al (see above), the lower edge of the leaf is a distinct 'v' shape - whereas on my "Nova", the profile is flatter like a fortunei. I don't know if there are any other giveaway signs of difference, but that seems to be the main one..

Col
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Dont know Col, its all new as the 'novas' have only been around for a few years.

Although its always great to know what you have, at the end of the day (as Becks says) if you have a palm or plant that you like then it doesnt really matter does it.
col

Post by col »

Adrian wrote:Dont know Col, its all new as the 'novas' have only been around for a few years.
Although its always great to know what you have, at the end of the day (as Becks says) if you have a palm or plant that you like then it doesnt really matter does it.
Thats a good point, Ade. Whatever it turns out to be, its a good strong Trachycarpus and I look forward to seeing it progress as time goes on. The guy that sold me it almost certainly sold me it in the best of faith, so I am at ease about that. There is only one thing mildly bugging me now, and thats the obvious.....I bought it as a Nova and despite receiving a nice palm for my money, I still haven't got a Nova.

I saw Novas for sale at Akamba last week, so I'll get one from there.

Col
simon

Post by simon »

Col, I'm not convinced that this leaf shape distinction gives anything away. Fortunei seems to vary from a narrow delta shape to a full 360 degree leaf within the same species. I think Dave Brown has noted that variation even within seedlings from the same parent (correct me if I am wrong Dave). I think there is a good chance you will get the same variation within other species.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

This may well still turn out to be a princeps/fortunei hybrid , I have seen some planted in the ground, and as small plants in full sun and wind the leaves are very reminescent of princeps shape.
Still think Col has a nova, just that its a bit bigger than the smaller plants everyone else is showing , and those sheffield guys bought a lot of novas from me 12 months earlier ,so they have them 100%.