parajubaea cocoides, any experiences

Jellybob

Re: parajubaea cocoides, any experiences

Post by Jellybob »

Cheers DB. There I go ranting again :oops: Trying to use the PC and having children bicker in the background always helps a rant.
John P

Post by John P »

I grew one for years from a small seedling, sourced from Peter Jenkins. There was an article in Chamaerops magazine saying that it was a good palm for a cool climate, so I had been tempted to buy one. It went in the greenhouse for winter and came out in the summer. I slipped up one year by standing it out too early and it was frosted by a a very minor temperature of just below freezing. The palm recovered but it did not fit in with my planting plan to grow palms that would survive planted out. I did an exchange with Nigel and he grew it to a large size under glass he even posted a picture of him standing underneath it. As he has moved to South America I expect he sold it on. Its not a palm I would try and grow outdoors unless I lived in a very mild location.

John
toptropics

Post by toptropics »

bodster wrote:I've been growing Parajubaea torallyi in the conservatory. I have to say though that the hot temperatures in there dont seem to have caused it a problem. Its now planted out and I'll see how it fares next winter

sounds very interesting i would love to see a picture, how big is it?

Hey john are you referring to cocoides or torallyi?
bodster

Post by bodster »

Its about 5 feet from the ground to the tops of the fronds so not a bad sized plant. It seems to have really deep roots when I planted it out.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Martin, from what you and John P are saying maybe what I said about not liking hign minimums was wrong, but that was certainly the thought a few years ago. There are some palms that do not like being in a pot, maybe this is one if it has very deep roots. If you have planted it out, how did it fare last winter :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
bodster

Post by bodster »

I've only just planted it out Dave. It was in a huge pot like a dustbin. When I got it out, it had thick roots going down to and round the bottom of the pot but not much else. This is Parajubaea torallyi rather than parajubaea cocoides
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Cocoides is the least hardy of the Parajubaea, microcarpa is thought to be thr best bet and I have planted one and another has gone into a very tall planter that will stay out for winter so Ill let you know in a years time if microcarpa is worth a punt.
Microcarpa is also smaller and slower than torallyii.
I would say the most tried Parajubaea would be the torallyii v torallyii but no great success has come yet.
I have a few of varying sizes from seedlings to 4 foot palms so they will get tested before too long.

The one im pinning my hopes on and probably the hopes of the UK palm growers is the Butia x Parajubaea cross, Ive had one for a number of years from a strap leaved seedling and that was planted out last summer, it made good growth, much faster in the ground than in a pot, and it came through winter (-9's) with just a single fleece bag and may well have come through unprotected.
This year it should rocket, its looking very much like a Butyagrus at the size (around 3 foot high) but this year should also give me a better idea of how it will look, hoping it will be more Parajubaea like.

Cocoides, well any Parajubaea, should make a good conservatory palm as its fairly well behaved but to put it out in the ground would be a big ask but maybe with a pop up fleece tube and heating cables you might have a chance.

It comes down to how serious you are and what effort you want to put in.
bodster

Post by bodster »

Very true. We wont find out how hardy they are until people try it so lets see! I hope the parajubaea x butia comes on well adrian. Thats something of a rare beastie from what I can see. I was concidering keeping my parajubaea in the conservatory until it was big enough to cross with one of my butias but I'd probably have to wait till i was 103 before i saw what the result would be!
toptropics

Post by toptropics »

bodster wrote:Very true. We wont find out how hardy they are until people try it so lets see! I hope the parajubaea x butia comes on well adrian. Thats something of a rare beastie from what I can see. I was concidering keeping my parajubaea in the conservatory until it was big enough to cross with one of my butias but I'd probably have to wait till i was 103 before i saw what the result would be!
I'd happily be one of the first to try

anyone know were i can get a torallyi.(don't want seeds, heard they take ages to germinate)

Thanks guys :D :D
bodster

Post by bodster »

Akamba often have them. thats where I got mine
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Where are you toptropics? you say warmer UK but locations are quite important when discussing plants.
toptropics

Post by toptropics »

Adrian wrote:Where are you toptropics? you say warmer UK but locations are quite important when discussing plants.
your right it is a bit misleading. I am around london, near the 02
We didn't get to far below -4 this year.we have hit 20C a few times so far.

If I dont find any seedlings locally or online, ill end up buying seeds from rps along with some ph.theoprastii or sylvestris or both depending on price
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Like Bodster said Akamba are a good bet, they had seedlings when we were there the other week Im sure and I bought a fairly large one there just before xmas.
bodster

Post by bodster »

I dont think theres are ever going to be the next butia. The best we're going to get is that they'll survive rather than thrive
toptropics

Post by toptropics »

Hey anyone know when the akamba online store is due to open, it says may but anyone know in more detail