Black spot on Chamaerops

DiCasS

Black spot on Chamaerops

Post by DiCasS »

Went out in the garden just now and noticed my Chamaerops has developed a bad case of black spot. If it had just been a couple of spots it wouldn't have worried me too much but this is quite extensive and has affected lots of leaves and has come on quickly. Is this a fungus and do I need to treat it now or do you think this could be due to the excessive rain we have had in the last few weeks. I noticed on my Cerifera that I've a few black spots but no-where near to the extent as the Humilis.

If it is fungus, what do you suggest I use. A pic below showing the damage on just one leaf but there are lots like this.
DSCN1289.JPG
Thanks

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
eyefi

Re: Black spot on Chamaerops

Post by eyefi »

christine shaw in "architectural plants" suggests to remove affected leaves and burn. most folk seem to just suffer it. i cut it all off mine this spring and it's grown back great now. looks awful in my opinion and not worth having them on display.

this wet summer is going to have some awful fungus repercussions this year.
irish dave

Post by irish dave »

eyefi wrote:this wet summer is going to have some awful fungus repercussions this year.
I think it has a lot to do with the roots been to wet,Make sure your soil is very well drained,and keep down the watering on less you have a warm dry spell.I also youse Miracle-Gro,The Azalea,Camellia & Rhododendron.16-6-16,works unbelivable good on palms,takes away any yellowing,and gives them a dark green look,this is a tip i got off another palm form,and is true to its word icon_thumleft
Edo

Post by Edo »

Try using copper-based fungicide.
Also, you can use baking soda and Lime Sulfur.

This is a page where you can find most of info:
http://yardener.com/YardenersToolshedof ... LimeSulfur

cheers,
Edo
eyefi

Post by eyefi »

copper based fungicides are illegal to sell in the uk now
Edo

Post by Edo »

eyefi wrote:copper based fungicides are illegal to sell in the uk now
really? whys that?
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

For the approved list, take a look at https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/garden, go to the last drop-down box "Field of use/action" and select "Fungicides", press "Get results" and it will give you the list of fungicides approved for home/garden use in the UK. Note, the commercial/professional list is much longer and includes things like Captan that are not sold to the home/garden user (except as an additive with rooting hormone).
eyefi wrote:this wet summer is going to have some awful fungus repercussions this year.
Yes, this summer has been dreadful for fungus - I have seedlings damping off in the open, which shouldn't happen.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks for the replies and links. I already have some Fungus Clear Gun which I can spray on it. How many applications should I give it. Is it a one off or should I keep applying it?

Whilst trawling through the net, I read that someone used 1 part milk to 10 parts water as a fungicide. Anyone else heard or tried this.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
eyefi

Post by eyefi »

Edo wrote:
really? whys that?
health and safety going a bit mad and not understanding that some folk can use "risky" chemicals responsibly
derrick

Post by derrick »

Only 1 of my chamaerops seems to get this black spot and its planted a bit in the shade the others are ok I replaced the black spot plant with another plant and its back are put somethimg else in its place .
eyefi

Post by eyefi »

[quote="DiCasS"
Whilst trawling through the net, I read that someone used 1 part milk to 10 parts water as a fungicide. Anyone else heard or tried this. i[/quote]

i've heard of it but never tried it, always thought it sounded a bit mad.
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

I always put the dark spotting on the chamerops down to winter damage?..When the affected leaves were cut off all the new stuff is very green and healthy..Ive been doing this each spring for about 4/5 years..never sprayed any fungicide..about 15 plant/trees all thriving...even in regularly flooded ground :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Is there likely to be any relation to Rose Black Spot :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by eyefi »

christine shaw lists it as a problem under the heading "yucca leaf spot"
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

eyefi wrote:
DiCasS wrote: Whilst trawling through the net, I read that someone used 1 part milk to 10 parts water as a fungicide. Anyone else heard or tried this.
i've heard of it but never tried it, always thought it sounded a bit mad.
Not impossible. The milk would be colonised by decay bacteria, which might be antagonistic to the fungi (just as some fungi like Penicillium are antagonistic to some bacteria). Not definite, but it is a possibility.