Brahea Edulis

sam140

Brahea Edulis

Post by sam140 »

Hi Everybody,

What are your experiences with this palm please.
redsquirrel

Re: Brahea Edulis

Post by redsquirrel »

mine had a foot of trunk,got badly damaged and spearpulled this year,i cut it down to 3 inches for clean tissue,dosed with h2o2 and its made a fabulous recovery,just putting out a half sized leaf now,2 or 3 tiddlers first,bit like a small c volcano.im keeping in this winter to make sure then try again next year.previous 2 years didnt damage but it couldnt hack the snow or prolonged cold spell
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
sam140

Post by sam140 »

What location are you in red squirrel, was it planted close to the house, sun or shade.
Do you know if they get hardier as they age.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

mine was in amongst a load of other palms i though would have sheltered it a bit.one of the palms it was under was my big washy which also took a bad hit,we had one night of -9 and about a week or so of freezing days,i am near clevedon on the bristol channel.supposed to be a thermal pot but wasnt this year

i saw gary wattons in bournemouth recently,planted next to the house,it is a corker of a tree,looks fantastic when established
sam140

Post by sam140 »

From what you've said I think its about getting the right mirco-climate in your garden for this palm. I think I may have a good spot for a new addition next to the house close to the washy f of mine which actually recieved minimal damage. So will try one there.

One other thing did you palnt yours in spring?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

no,i didnt get to plant it out.nigel from hardy pallms gave it to me saying it needed to green up a bit first.i really liked the very bright green and left it as it was.last year it got a move on,i think it put out 5 new leaves,looked great.still only about 3ft tall though and not big enough to cast out to the elements in my opinion.hopefully next year after this recovery,it will be a stronger plant.i can but hope :happy:
bodster

Post by bodster »

I got one from Akamba this spring that had survived some very bad temperatures in a pot there alond with a brahea brandegii. Both plants are doing OK and establishing themselves
bev

Post by bev »

amulree had some nice ones for £35, i wish i had got one now. to me they look much tougher than a washy, so you should be alright sam!

cheers

lee
Tom_Hereford

Post by Tom_Hereford »

Have two in pots up in Herefordshire, survived the winter perfectly!!! :)
sam140

Post by sam140 »

What were your minimums please :D
bodster

Post by bodster »

redsquirrel wrote:
i saw gary wattons in bournemouth recently,planted next to the house,it is a corker of a tree,looks fantastic when established

Its mine now ;)
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

bodster wrote:
redsquirrel wrote:

Its mine now ;)
lets see a pic bodster

I picked up a moderate one in the spring (bit expensive), based on how well a tiny Mulu one had done outside. I've been impressed how many leaves it's sent out, more than any of my Washys.
themes

Post by themes »

hows your brahea done Lucien show us a pic?
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

themes wrote:hows your brahea done Lucien show us a pic?
3 or 4 full leaves since it went in the ground in April.

Here it is in April, I'll try and remember to get a current photo tomorrow.
DSCN1226.JPG
DSCN1236.JPG
And before anyone asks, it cost more than it would have last year ! I try not to think about it.
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

The smaller one doesn't even reach the base of the the leaves, but survived last winter without a mark, I can see why these are put in place of washy's in California.