He he - my first Trachie

marie06

He he - my first Trachie

Post by marie06 »

Tonight I am very happy. Partly cos I went to a neighbours birthday bash earlier, and also cos I bought my first Trachie today, half price at B&Q - £10 and about 3 feet tall inc pot. Also got a phormium half price. Might go back soon and get one of the windmill palms (not a hope of spelling the latin name at the moment), again half price. Ooh, I love the sales!

They also had some Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's reduced, nice looking plants, but I decided not to chance it after reading how they are borderline hardy. I know tropical gardening is about pushing the boundaries of growing, but I get really attached to my plants and hate it when I loose one. :oops:
Last edited by marie06 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
themes

Re: He he - my first Trachie

Post by themes »

trachycarpus is referred to as the windmill palm icon_scratch

Great you got one! icon_cheers
marie06

Post by marie06 »

OOPs - getting my palms confused. You'll have to excuse me, I am a beginner after all!

The one I didn't get was a Chamer... (something)
themes

Post by themes »

chamaerops Humilis. European fan palm. Thats another lovely palm for the UK, the aint that much toughies like these two
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Congulations 8)

Plant it in well rotted compost if you have any and it will romp away, they like plently of water and if the area is a bit boggy add some grit to the planting hole. :D

Observe where the frost least forms in the garden & then palnt your phoenix canariensis in the spring.

Best Regards
Sam
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Have a good look around these places in January as well Marie, they are sometimes just about giving the stuff away.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i think everyone should have loads of trachies. something to watch that will almost certainly perform well.provides the confidence to push the limit with something else
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Yeah trachies are great. Dead hard and as exotic :lol: looking as anything when stripped bare.
Nick

Post by Nick »

well done Marry, get it planted girl, and watch it grow, give it lots of chic poo.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
marie06

Post by marie06 »

Themes - I will get another Chamaerops Humilis. The ones in B&Q were about 2 foot tall, and nice and bushy. I won't be in town again for another fortnight, so I hope they don't sell out.
Hi Sam - My soil is awful, really thin over chalk. Last week I dug out 2 barrow loads of flint and chalk lump from a border about 2'6" x 6'. Trouble is I can never make enough compost! I'll have a look and see if any done this year is ready yet. The only two places in my garden that don't get hard frosts are by my patio, which is already full, and under a 40 year old Bramley. I am trying to make the garden more sheltered by planting windbreaks along the boundary walls (any suggestions welcome), but they will take some time to grow and be effective.
Mick - I will, thanks. :D
RS - dunno about having loads, one will do for now!
Nick - Can't get it planted til I decide where to put it. Still in the process of redesigning the garden ( no plan, it just evolves). And I have to work to my limited resources. But, slowly slowly catchy monkey :lol:
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

well done

its a slippery slope keep us update on the next palm you get
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

Take a photo icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Nick

Post by Nick »

icon_cheers icon_cheers Yes Photo's Please, when you can icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

icon_sunny icon_sunny
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

Nick wrote:icon_cheers icon_cheers Yes Photo's Please, when you can icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

icon_sunny icon_sunny
seconded
marie06

Post by marie06 »

The sun is supposed to shine here sometime in the next few days, so I'll try to get some photos done then. Everything always looks better in the sun :)