Palm Bed - Manure

Sat

Palm Bed - Manure

Post by Sat »

I have put some manure on these palm bed I am creating for next year, the manure was good as the person I collected from said it already been there some 6 - 8 months , so had some rotting already.

My question is can I now cover the manure area and palm with some normal compost?
Attachments
SDC11928.JPG
SDC11931.JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Palm Bed - Manure

Post by Dave Brown »

Yes you can add top soil and maybe some grit/gravel. I would be inclunded to dig it in, but I'm no expert on soil :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nick »

Same here Dave, I would now dig it in really well and then get planting so winter don't wash all the goodness out of that muck of yours, or all your work will have been in vain, so don't delay.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
themes

Post by themes »

I would dig in loads of bark and sharp sand. But thats me, Having a medium that is too rich Is something I avoid if I can, if your putting a palm there
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

I would dig it in with or without compost. Then leave it for a few months so all those goodies break up and let the soil compact itself. This will create a superior environment for all creatures living underground. Next they will make a tasty humus for your palms and as we know humus improves the water-retaining properties of soil, adds nutrients, and makes it more workable. Don't plant in anything yet cuz you may burn the roots of your palm or it may start growing rapidly. Wait till spring.
weve

Post by weve »

I'm with Countrylover on this one. I too would personally leave the bed unplanted overwinter and plant in spring (for all the reasons he states above).

best
weve