Planting my Cordyline indivisa

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Planting my Cordyline indivisa

Post by Dave Brown »

I lost mine in Autumn. I just don't seem to be able to get the watering/drainage right. :roll: It went into decline at end of Summer 2007, but recovered over winter with gravel piled up against the trunk, then the same in end of summer 2008, but finally went into terminal decline at end of summer 2009. :roll:

The common factors seem to be summer watering and warmth allowing rot. Bodster had one growing well on old conifer needle compost, and I think that may be the secret.... an extremely fibrous, organic mix that does not rot down. Most orgamic fibrous substances like coarse bark, are great for drainage in the first year or so, but then decompose and become too heavy and wet.

Does anyone know if Bodster's is still alive?

Last autumn I had a look at the roots on mine and all had rotted apart from the outer edge gap between the compost and the pot on the side facing the sun. That to me says too wet, too long, and the only place that dried out quick enough was the edge of the conpost where heated by the sun. It had gone from looking healthy with about 20 leaves to just a central spear within a month :roll:

I tried removing all the, now decomposed, coarse bark compost replacing it with a mixture of 75% shredded pine needles and Euclyptus leaves, and 25% mp compost. Don't know whether the root disturbance finished it off, but it didn't recover.

Another thing that may be worth trying is watering with very dilute H2O2, this is reputed to work on overwatered plants as it fizzes oxygen around the roots :wink:

I've not given up yet, I'll get another, and continue my learning curve icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by weve »

Sorry to hear of your loss Dave, I don't feel i'm "out of the woods" with mine yet either, mind.

Was thinking tho' would lots of "Hortag" (the clay pellets used on staging, crocking and sometimes for Hydroponics) added to any potting medium aid aeration and drainage?

I was going to add lots to my soil when planting my indivisa, but it seems much less available than previously when it was standard stock in many garden centres so couldn't get any locally, so went without

Although not sold as a potting medium or soil improver/additive, unlike gravel/grit it retains moisture/air, which remains available to the plant, it would open up the soil, and does not waterlog as such, unlike gel granules for example. Just a thought.......... icon_scratch

If I have to replace mine, certainly will try experimenting by incorporating lots of Hortag in the soil and, after seeing mine grow after planting out (despite the huge leaf loss), will plant straight in the ground this time, bypassing the pot stage. (After seeing the state of the compost in the pot and the rotting roots, think I got mine out of there in the nick of time!)
best
weve
weve

Post by weve »

March 16th 2010 Update.
the Indivisa has survived the winter totally unscathed (unprotected) and has started growing again with three new leaves unfurling in the last couple of weeks!

Am still working to improve drainage As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I was a little concerned to see almost permanent puddling around it in the very wet November. To hopefully help/prevent this, I have sunk a 5" diam. 3ft long cardboard tube (the centre of a big roll of bubblewrap) vertically down about 2 ft away ('downslope') from the plant and will fill this with gravel to act (hopefully) as a drainage soakaway. Not sure yet if it will work or whether to gradually withdraw and remove the tube as I fill it or just let it rot away in situ

Buying some flint based gravel for the filling. Have plenty of spare limestone chippings but don't want to take any chances with possibly increasing the pH
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

How is your Indivisa now? As its been nearly a year since you planted it.
Adam

Post by Adam »

hey weve how has your indivisa faired since march and with all this snow we now have?? :)