Livistona australis, back from the "dead" (hopefully!)

weve

Livistona australis, back from the "dead" (hopefully!)

Post by weve »

Hi
My potted Livistona australis got left out in the dreadful cold of last winter, unprotected (albeit in a sheltered part of the garden).

After the winter (in late March) I was pleased, and relieved, to see that it had two green spears, so decided to plant it out (as originally intended). However by the end of April, both spears had browned and later pulled.

At the end of August, with still no sign of life and a few more leaves dying off, I dug it up again and carelessly just bunged it in a pot, as I didn't have any hope.

Well today I found a new leaf emerging!!!! (Funny how such a little thing like that can bring cheer to the day!). Quite impressed, as its probably the least hardy palm I am growing (I presume its more tender than a washy robusta?). I also had a spear pull on a relatively "safe", but potted, Phoenix canariensis_CIDP too, but no sign of recovery on that, alas

All I've got to do now is nurse the Livistona back to health. I intend to bring it in for this winter. (any tips? BTW)

best
weve

My Livistona australis (& new leaf emerging)
liv2.jpg
redsquirrel

Re: Livistona australis, back from the "dead" (hopefully!)

Post by redsquirrel »

good news on the recovery,mine never came back,maybe i should have kept it longer.mine fried and pulled 2 years ago after a very mild but wet winter.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Adrian

Re: Livistona australis, back from the "dead" (hopefully!)

Post by Adrian »

Mine spear pulled and was thrown on a rubbish heap for ages but as I was about to put it into a skip I saw new growth appearing, it now has 2 full leaves.