pheonix dactylifera

medjool

pheonix dactylifera

Post by medjool »

Is it possible to grow these trees in coastal parts of the uk or london?
sam140

Re: pheonix dactylifera

Post by sam140 »

Yeah it is as hardy as the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and i see plently of those that are doing well in London.

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP Fulham, London.
Attachments
RiversideCourtCIDP.jpg
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Torquay Phoenix canariensis_CIDP.
Attachments
DSCF0275 [800x600].JPG
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Can it take cold wet as well as Phoenix canariensis?

Given the abundance of seed supply, the shortage of specimens does rather suggest they're not succeeding.
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I've scarecly heard of anyone even trying let alone succeeding beyond a couple of years growing Phoenix dactilifera in England. Growing conditions are much more exact. » » » note "o" before "e" in Phoenix. Maybe some of the long time UK exotics grower can prove otherwise.

Cheers, Barrie.
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

I'm trying them - after all the seeds are plentiful and cheap (20 for £1). I think it's possible that if I try some different varieties, I might just get a few seedlings that are more cold-tolerant than average. Given their origin in places like North Africa at about 33 deg North, I'm inclined to think that they may fail to thrive due to the lack of heat and light here, and it won't be the frost as such that kills them off.
medjool

Post by medjool »

Thanks for the information,and great pictures!
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I know of two growing in the Uk to a decent size, one in nearby Benfleet Essex, and one in the Ventnor botanical gardens on the Isle of Wight.
I'd try one myself if I had the room.
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is a better candidate for the UK, but the true date palm is well worth trying.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I have tried many different varieties from the Dates Ive eaten, maybe as hard as canariensis but not in this country.
pete G

Post by pete G »

Am I right in thinking that Caneriensis is more ornamental than Dactylifera, especially when young.

I've grown date stones years ago, but they were never as leafy as caneriensis so I cant actually see the point in growing dactylifera
medjool

Post by medjool »

Yes cdp is more ornamental to look at and generally larger,some varieties of dactylifera are quite ornamental such as zahidi and medjool.why not try something different!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I did quite a bit of research into Phoenix dactilyfera back in the early 1990s, and again when I put the website together. It seems to be the Washingtonia filifera of the Phoenix tribe, prefering a dry atmosphere. I have grown loads over the years, but all seem to die at some point or other. The largest I grew was Danny as seen in the webpage http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/Palms/P ... lifera.php , and the pic below... it got to about 5 feet tall but I lost it in a freeze where temps remained below freezing for s few days.

Alawys worth a try from seed as they are so cheap to buy and you get to eat the dates as well. For seed germination see http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/Seeds/Date_palm.php
Attachments
Phoenix dactilyfera.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by medjool »

Hello Dave
thanks for your post on dactylifera i have read with interest your descriptions in the past and this has interested me,I even purchased a plant from you about 3 years ago to give it a try.This one i lost to the damp after it was moved to northern Spain(galicia)
Since then i have been trying medjool palm seedlings in the uk,so far so good the winter will be the big test,a few will be left out in a sheltered spot,damp i have read is not such a problem with this variety or zahidi. Wish me luck!
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

I Agree with Dave. The canariensis is a better one for growing outside then the dactylifera because they prefer a drier air like Dave told. I have done a lot of experiments and also have grown hunderds of Washingtonia filifera and robusta and the filifera where always the baddest after a winter. I think without protection a dactylifera will have a slow dead because the wet/cold combination and lots of high humidity.

Robbin