Bringing Home a Large Cordy

radio1julie

Re: Bringing Home a Large Cordy

Post by radio1julie »

I dug one out a few years ago from a garden in Leeds. It was at least the same size but probably taller, mayber 9 ft. However, there were quite a few trunks around it too. I think there were around 10 altogether. I dug out as large a rootball as possible but most of the side trunks split off with small sections of root attached. When I transplanted in my own garden I put the various sections in different parts of the garden. The main section with three trunks and the main rootball attached has since flourished and the whole plant has doubled in height over the last 5 years (helped along with good helpings of chicken manure). The other sections all languished for a while, then finally gave up. The key thing is to get as large a rootball as possible, give a good soaking before and after planting, then plenty of aftercare with feeding/watering. My own plant is an absolute monster now and is looking more like a three trunked tree with multiple branches higher up, due to it flowering each spring since it was planted.
So my advice, if this plant is still available, is to give it a go! There is a good chance it will live if the above procedure is followed!