jubaea kew

medjool

jubaea kew

Post by medjool »

Hello
today reading a book in the library,a year at kew,to my horror plans are afoot to fell the big jubaea as too big to move!
any sugestions!!!!!!
bobbyd44

Re: jubaea kew

Post by bobbyd44 »

is that one in a glass house?? could they not move it outside!!!
medjool

Post by medjool »

Yes thats right,the large one in the glass house!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yes I have heard this and it was discussed over on EPS, the problem is the sheer size and weight. The problems may be that so much of the Temperate house structure would have to be removed to fascilitate getting the removal machinery in, that it would probably become unstabe. I guess the decision has been made on the grounds of the one palm does not outweigh the value to Kew of the whole house. I am sure they will have thought long and hard about this.

It would be a magniscent sight out in the parkland but I guess it is not to be.

here is the magnificent beast at the Kew meet in Feb 2008
Attachments
HTUK Kew Meet 090208 Jubea.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by pete G »

So how much has it grown since it was last moved?

I remember seeing it in the 70s and I'm sure they have moved it since then.

Last time I saw it, it didn't look much bigger and that was only a couple of years ago.

Or is my memory playing tricks?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

It comes down to funding, such an operation would take a massive effort and effort costs.
The glasshouse is also Grade 1 listed so the chance of taking out sections or the posibility of damage also comes into the story.
Although the likely outcome would be felling, the glasshouse lads havent given up all hope of a removal.

The Jub future is always first on the list of questions when we have our tea underground on the EPS meets there.
pete G

Post by pete G »

The building might be grade 1 listed but without the plants its just that, another grade 1 listed building, we've got thousands of them, most of which have been practically reconstructed any way.
I'm sure if the right people were to want it moved, it would be done. :wink:
Danny Thomas

Post by Danny Thomas »

I did a search and found two good topics on this on the Growing on the Edge forum

http://www.growingontheedge.net/viewtopic.php?t=1075

http://www.growingontheedge.net/viewtopic.php?t=2486
sam140

Post by sam140 »

This is a terrible shame. Could have had some foresight and common sense and moved it before it got that big and put in a new one. :shock:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i am lucky in having a small offspring from that tree,hoping and crossing everything that it pulls through after transplanting from nigels in the summer
Attachments
jub.jpg
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

redsquirrel wrote:i am lucky in having a small offspring from that tree,hoping and crossing everything that it pulls through after transplanting from nigels in the summer
Red, how`s your little Jubaea doing?
pdid

Post by pdid »

They need to get Arlon round! He'd have it out in a jiffy with his bricks and parcel trolley :lol: :lol: :lol:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I thought they planted another one in a neighbouring spot years ago as a ready replacement when time was up for Jubby. icon_scratch
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

There is another one in the Temperate House just on the other side of the path that is trunking but it started growing on a severe angle and although it has straightened up now I'm not sure how stable it will be in the future with that massive weight to support??

Also, on the southern end of the Temperate House there are two large-ish jubaeas planted outside in the ground. They've been protecting them in winter and they're looking quite impressive now - starting to trunk.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

leunerj wrote:There is another one in the Temperate House just on the other side of the path that is trunking but it started growing on a severe angle and although it has straightened up now I'm not sure how stable it will be in the future with that massive weight to support??

Also, on the southern end of the Temperate House there are two large-ish jubaeas planted outside in the ground. They've been protecting them in winter and they're looking quite impressive now - starting to trunk.

Is Kew worth a visit? It takes me 2 hours to get to Kings Cross then public transport to Kew. Is it easy to do?

What are the top 5 things to see there?