Washingtonia robusta winter protection

davidjonesUK

Re: Washingtonia robusta 2009/10 winter protection

Post by davidjonesUK »

Here is 2 pictures of my washy .F., In my room before i took it back out into the cold, Iv decided to dig it up and then put it into that bucket.Then im going to keep it out in the morning untill night then at night bring it into the shed which will be about 1c-2c warmer than out side. And this should protected from frost and gale winds then hopfully it should suvive I will plant it back out in spring for good :D :D :D icon_thumright
Attachments
S73F0057 (3).JPG
S73F0056 (3).JPG
Imran Khalid

Post by Imran Khalid »

Dave Brown wrote:With the wind direction and origin they are showing it looks similar to 1987 here. :evil: Not taking any chances so added some redundant rope lights around the trunk. These are to be left on while temps are below zero. Never done this before, so I do not know how much heat they produce, but the lights consume about 220w. I'm not wrapping now as having looked at it yesterday it was impractcal for the size of the palm. :roll:
20091215 Washingtonia Palm Lights 02.jpg
The photo really made me smile. Very funny, I hope it works!
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I don't think there's too much to panic about just yet, heres a couple of old Washy pictures of previous winters.... No harm done.
Attachments
138.JPG
120.JPG
derrick

Post by derrick »

My washington under timber frame with corrugated roof. sides are insulated with air flow . My bananas are the same lasiocarpa still have good leaves.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nigel Fear wrote:I don't think there's too much to panic about just yet, heres a couple of old Washy pictures of previous winters.... No harm done.
I may be paranoid but will solar dimming overriding el nino :shock: , I am expecting a colder than recent winter, but hoping not colder than last winter :roll:

DavidJUK, have you just dug your Washingtonia filifera up ? If so give it a bit of TLC :wink: But once potted, don't be too hasty to plant out again.... you may be in one of the milder areas but with washies the bigger the better :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
eddie

Post by eddie »

@Dave; if i were you i would use a few tensionwires with tent pins in case the wind gets stronger. The wires will probably keep the umbrella in its place. The light string looks nice in this season

I gave my Washi's a shelter with some x-mas light to keep away the frost. The shelter looks like an iglo now with the snow cover :)

Next week seems to be with higher temps again icon_cheers
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
dyls

Post by dyls »

I wonder how long that parasol would last in the Isle of Man, where it's quite common that the windspeed doesn't drop below 35 mph for weeks at a time during the winter!

Already it's been the most severe winter in a good few years at least at my house. It's been 3 years since I've had to scrape ice off the car in December, it's usually January before that happens. And there's been 1cm of ice on the pond, fortunately, it only lasted a day. The only snow we've had though was a brief snow flurry on Saturday night that didn't settle.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

dyls wrote:I wonder how long that parasol would last in the Isle of Man, where it's quite common that the windspeed doesn't drop below 35 mph for weeks at a time during the winter!
You probably wouldn't need it Dyls :lol: The only reason I have erected it is because of snow getting into the crown, which can cause damage then rot. There is a big mass of cold air over Europe which is only 65 miles away, and it look like it will periodically push over here this winter. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

How about this pic I found on the internet?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10052555@N04/3117943885/

:ahhh!:
bev

Post by bev »

blimey! :shock:

the yucca in the other pic doesn't look too clever either.

i suppose their maturity will see them through, although it must be a shock to the system going from one extreme of temperature to another followed by snow.

cheers

lee
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

bev wrote:blimey! :shock:
i suppose their maturity will see them through, although it must be a shock to the system going from one extreme of temperature to another followed by snow.
cheers

lee
That palm is in it's normal growing range so will cope with snow from time to time as they have evolved there. The sun is 10 to 15 degrees higher so would be like a heavy snowfall in October here. Freezes don't last more than a day or two. :wink:

Also someone has called it W. filifera, but to me the trunk looks too slender.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Well I wonder the Washingtonias survive this winter! A sort coldspell with snow ok, but almost a week snow and ice, I wonder!

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

As we are back in a maritime air mass, I'll give an update. Seems my paranoia was justified with the weather we have had over the last 4 weeks. It was cold but relatively windless here. The coldest we had here so far was -5.6C but winter is far from over yet even though we have Atlantic systems over us at this point.

Wind has increased significanlty here today, and the highest seems to be just under 30mph, but weatherunderground will not load this morning so can't see highest gust speed.

The Parasol was being whipped about alarmingly so I was out there at first light checking it over. I have tied additional ropes stopping the upward and downward movement. It definately will not take off now..... without the palm going with it, but there is a risk the beech wood parasol will break :roll:

Worst of the wind seems to have passed now so fingers crossed :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by JohnH »

I hope the parasol survives, it would be a dreadful shame if you were to lose it.

JH
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

John, it has survived so far, but I am keeping my eye on the weather in case we get March Winds.

Update on how the palm is doing..... The newer upper leaves are under the canopy are fine, but the lower leaves are suffering some frost damage soi the frost has wafted under the canopy from the sides.

Here is the palm on 21st Feb 2009 having suffered frost damage while not protected
210209 pics 019.jpg
Here 19th Feb 2010 with protection. Only lower leaves suffering frost damage
20100219 Washie 01.jpg
Even the leaflet tips on the upper leaves are unaffected by frost damage under the protection of the canopy.
20100219 Washie 02.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright