Phoenix canariensis_CIDP spear pull out

Adam

Re: Phoenix canariensis_CIDP spear pull out

Post by Adam »

nicks right! i think, from the looks of it your Phoenix canariensis_CIDP looks actually healthy compared to mine which has gone a silvery brown colour lol :DD
jacko

Post by jacko »

I used a lot of straw in a netting cage,then wrapped that in a plastic covering.The stuff that covers electrical goods when you get them,had a load of it when my big telly came.Then double fleeced it with jackets.gave it a breather third week in jan. while it was relatively mild for a few days.then wrapped it up again.Now I've got wheat grains left over from the straw sprouting all around it.lol.
Attachments
end of november 09
end of november 09
middle of december 09
middle of december 09
middle of january 10
middle of january 10
21st of jan.2010
21st of jan.2010
kata

Post by kata »

Jacko hi,

I bought green jackets this year for my leylandi type trees, put the smallest jacket on an Agave and somthing ate right through it, made a right mess of the plant.

I just looked at a site for my area weather and no way if its same next year -10 was re-corded will I leave out my tropicals.

I knew it was cold but thats mad :o :o :o
jacko

Post by jacko »

kata hi,
yes indeed,it was an awful lot of fuss and vigilance to get it through this winter.If it ends up a stumpy every march,makes me think is it worth it.I'll keep at it though you never know we might have a mild winter next time.lol. :lol:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Jacko, my Chammy double spear pulled, some of the older leafs are showing signs of ice/frost/cold damage, also my Butia C is now well brown and spear pulled a number of weeks back now, I must admit it Jacko, it does make one think why do we do this. I've looked around my garden and at the moment there is so many open empty places where things died last winter and some this winter, I know it will be very hard to fill all these spaces with plants that look tropical and different to everything else that everyone else grows in there gardens around here, so a lot of time doing research and hunting those choosen plants down and of course paying for them,I will admit my confidence has been knocked back a bit, but I will soldier on,even my little chamadorea radicals has succumbed to this winter, all it's poor little leaflets are dropping off and some of it's branches have collapsed, so will see how it all go's, the tough bit will be finding replacements for them all :( :( :(

icon_sunny icon_sunny
jacko

Post by jacko »

Yeah I sympathise Nick,my cordy a complete gonner,2 years ago it was a 7ft beauty,last winter killed the top,it regrew at the base over 2009.This winter It is a sad dead stump about 6ins.All the cordys around here are knackered.There was a 15 ft one near town,beautiful plant,looks dead as a doornail now.I've got some vivax culms that were late season ones that did'nt quite harden off for winter,about 11ft that are bare,I hope they leaf up soon I'm loathed to cut them to the ground.I've never wanted spring to come this year so much as this year.Signs of life are appearing now so I'm ok really just moaning a bit :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

JACKO - where did you get you wicker screening from i like that and would like some to go across my fence.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Got it from Focus do it all and charlies stores (they have a website).Have seen it on ebay too.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

cheers for that mate. i will have a look :)
kata

Post by kata »

If thec Agave and the Cycad has to be in my garden like for ever without bringing them in then I need to look for a good solution. For the Agave due to the small size then a round glass cloch would do.

Would animal (Squirrel, Mouse or Rat) want to tackle the Cycad due to the wiry leaves and the the bit in the middle?

Yea Jacko :lol: a good winter, not asking for much!
Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith »

Dave Brown wrote:You wimps :lol:
My experience is, and this differs from the accepted norm, that Phoenix canariensis_CIDP are more likely killed by molly coddling than temperature.... HERE anyway. True, a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP will not handle -10C and will stuggle in -8C, but -5C with planty of air movement through the crown should not be a problem (Size dependant) providing the temps don't stay below freezing for days on end. The problem is people wrap them for winter. I have done that myself, and lost them every single time. Now they take their chances and in -6C haven't died.

In answer to your question Adam, at only -5C the chances are it will resprout in the summer. You problem may have been condensation drip into the crown and then feezing. This moisture will never evaporate in the greenhouse in winter, where as it will outside eventually. Like Washingtinia this palm likes a breeze all year round. Cold, damp, stagnent air is it's worst enemy. :roll:
Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in north facing front garden taken today 6th Feb. Completely unprotected, not even pulled the leaves up this year. Coldest here was -5.6C
Microclimate may play a part as partially under a Monetuma Pine
20100206 Phoenix canariensis_CIDP 03.jpg
Dave, did your unprotected Phoenix canariensis_CIDP get covered in snow/ice and if so for how long? Here in west Southampton we had over a week with plants covered in snow - my Agave Americana had solid ice on it's leaves for almost 2 weeks. It's no longer with us (RIP!!!). I am getting my first ever Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in a couple of weeks. I plan to plant in in the sunniest part of our south facing back garden, next to where my Agave used to be. To protect or not to protect in winter will be an intestesting dilemma. Even if temps do not go below -5C, will snow and ice still be a killer?
Adam

Post by Adam »

yer andrew you do need to give some sort of protection because the ice is most definety a killer as what happened to my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and is the reason for me asking about Phoenix canariensis_CIDP pull out icon_DJ if the water and ice get into the crown rot is an ever present threat, i aint lying as i found out with mine :oops:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

yep me too mine is wrapped and went away in the wheelie bin 2 weeks ago because i didn't protect it.
Nick

Post by Nick »

My multi trunk Chammy has spear pulled on three of it's growing points and a few leafs are burnt by the cold also,I hope it survives and grows some new leafs.

icon_sunny icon_sunny