Washingtonias

Si

Washingtonias

Post by Si »

How are they doing out there? no news is...mmm
my leaves are fried and its a biggish one, hope it will grow back but its not started yet, this winters been horrendous. any tips?
redsquirrel

Re: Washingtonias

Post by redsquirrel »

ive put my big dasy in front of mine so i havent got to look at it anymore
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
jezza

Post by jezza »

Both of mine in a heated greenhouse so in full health and flying up :DD
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have got two washy seedlings :lol: they are 5 inches in height. :lol: might put mine back in my heated prop yet if yours are taking off in your heated greenhouse. I may see 10 inches by the end of summer :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Mine is doing fine, only had a couple of damaged leaves due to snow laying on them, it's too big to protect now anyway. It has been pushing out new leaves for the last few weeks too.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

sanatic1234 wrote:I have got two washy seedlings :lol: they are 5 inches in height. :lol: might put mine back in my heated prop yet if yours are taking off in your heated greenhouse. I may see 10 inches by the end of summer :lol:
Grow them hot, force them, they will be 6 feet tall with a 1/2 inch trunk and hardy to +25C, or alternatively grow them cool they will be stocky 1ft palms able to take +2 or +3C next winter. :wink:

Mine is growing but the newest spears seem to have some damage visble as they are opening. We did get -4.1C after I removed the Parasol protection :roll:
20100405 Washingtonia 01.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nathan wrote:Mine is doing fine, only had a couple of damaged leaves due to snow laying on them, it's too big to protect now anyway. It has been pushing out new leaves for the last few weeks too.
Nathan when you say leaves, how many. Mine has grown about 3cm, on the petiole I am measuring, since 18th March
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nathan »

Dave Brown wrote:
Nathan wrote:Mine is doing fine, only had a couple of damaged leaves due to snow laying on them, it's too big to protect now anyway. It has been pushing out new leaves for the last few weeks too.
Nathan when you say leaves, how many. Mine has grown about 3cm, on the petiole I am measuring, since 18th March
Well it has finished pushing out a leaf that "stalled" over winter & another been pushed out since, this has about 12 inches of petiole out of the crown & the leaf is about 3/4 of the way open. There are a few more spears on the way out as well...
jezza

Post by jezza »

Dave Brown wrote:
Grow them hot, force them, they will be 6 feet tall with a 1/2 inch trunk and hardy to +25C, or alternatively grow them cool they will be stocky 1ft palms able to take +2 or +3C next winter. :wink:

I don't cook the bloody thing, it stays at constant 10c :roll:
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

My robusta stayed outside all winter,we got down to -6c air temperature.All the leaves have gone,but the spear hasn't pulled,but it's brown,but was like that after last winter & had 6 new leaves by the end of the summer.

metalhammer.
danz

Post by danz »

mines looking good. over wintered in the greenhouse for the second time but had a heater this time for those really cold nights. roll on summer 8)
danz

Post by danz »

mines looking good. over wintered in the greenhouse for the second time but had a heater this time for those really cold nights. roll on summer 8)
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

My Washys spent the cold nights and wet days in an unheated hallway, no damage and started growing a few weeks back. Watered twice all winter so they have had a very dry winter.
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

I was reading this and I wanted to know but what would you do dave if yours died let's say next winter hopefully not but wha would u do?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Cry, probably :lol: and have quite a job digging it out.

It would be the end of an era, but I would probably try Brahea edulis which is also not quite hardy, but has been said it has a degree or two more frost tolerance on the leaves. The warm wall would have to have something fitting icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright