Cycad revoluta

miggs

Cycad revoluta

Post by miggs »

right first question

im picking a Cycad revoluta up on friday but was told they aint that hardy so would it be fair to say middle october is the time to get this in

as i dont have a conservatory will it need light or can i put this in a frost free shed sorry if this is a stupid question i just dont want to waste my money
sanatic1234

Re: Cycad revoluta

Post by sanatic1234 »

Depending on the size you could leave it outside and give it plenty of protection with plant fleeces. I have had the same thought about putting plants in my shed over winter but i still think it would be too cold for them.
miggs

Post by miggs »

i will get a pic up on friday to show you size
kata

Post by kata »

I got mine three montns ago,

Its still on my lounge table, doing ok.

I tried it in the lawn but it got bit.
Attachments
crown.JPG
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Did you acclimatise yours first kata? mine is still inside on my sunniest windowsill. I should really try putting mine out again it went out twice but one of the fronds got a little tinge of yellow to two of the spikes so i brought it back inside. it was in part shade as well. but i really want to get mine planted out asap and i will protect it during the winter.
kata

Post by kata »

San,

I am sure its fine to put yours out now. I am leaving mine indoors forever except for a good watering now and agin. I still need to feed it 'something'.

icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I haven't even fed mine yet either, To be honest i don't know what feed to give it?
Have you put yours in full sun?
kata

Post by kata »

No full sun yet San.

Yesterday was a good day for sun, back to cloudy again this morning.

Apparently, hot sun can bleach the fronds. If I could find something deep to cover it overnight it could remain in the lawn, pretty soon as it grows it will be too heavy to carry, now is bad enough.

Its not just carrying the plant, its the Terracotta pot, and the compost. With a permanant upper arm muscle injury its going to be impossible to keep carrying it out, also I do not want to keep digging it up for the winter..sigh..

:lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

kata wrote:No full sun yet San.

Yesterday was a good day for sun, back to cloudy again this morning.

Apparently, hot sun can bleach the fronds. If I could find something deep to cover it overnight it could remain in the lawn, pretty soon as it grows it will be too heavy to carry, now is bad enough.

Its not just carrying the plant, its the Terracotta pot, and the compost. With a permanant upper arm muscle injury its going to be impossible to keep carrying it out, also I do not want to keep digging it up for the winter..sigh..

:lol:
I reckon in the end kata you may have to keep it planted out and just give it loads and loads of protection. I know what you mean about the pots i have two what my nan has just given me and they are big and heavy without the compost in. :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

I may just find a spot for it San,

And leave it to either rot or survive. Its not like I paid out a lot of money for it..£15 although is a lot for me, its a drop in the ocean compared to some prices I see members pay.

I have had the most colorful, wonderful spring this year, the border is crammed with color. The Bleeding Heart had done so well its like a three year old not one year. The yellow peony looking tulips are still in bloom.

Its been an amazing time after such a frozen winter.

I like color San.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Miggs, they are hardy to about -5C with some frond damage but can take -9C with defoliation. Give them the best microclimate that you can. Mine is planted against a south facing wall and has the fronds tied up, then covered with a fleece bag.

I had -5.6C last winter with 2 weeks in Jan that bearly got above freezing. It survived unblemished. I have a smaller one that is more exposed and it now has some yellow patches on the fronds.

In spite of what you have been told they can take full overhead (tropical) sun with no problems. They grow quite happily in Tenerife at 27N so the sun gets to 4 degrees off overhead. What you can't do is grow them inside then stick them in full sun as the fronds will burn. :wink:

Here under the fleece bag (centre) in the snow in January.
20100106 BG in snow 01.jpg
Here when unwrapped, unmarked 25th Feb
20100225 Cycas revoluta 02.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

I bought three of those bags Dave,

Wrapped the Agave in it but remember how 'something' bit a big hole in the bag?

Two bags were never used, still in the wrapper.

The Cycas is taking no harm in the lounge, its just not practical for feeding and watering.

icon_cheers