Trachycarpus spear pull

eddie

Trachycarpus spear pull

Post by eddie »

Just to let you know....

A small unprotected Trachycarpus Fortunei I've planted last year at a friends garden here in Zeist, that's about 75km from the coast, spear pulled last week. Tmin there was -11,5C. They had lots of snow.

Maybe it will grow back, i'll wait and see.
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
grub

Re: Trachycarpus spear pull

Post by grub »

How young/big Eddie? I had a small amount of damage to the spear on one which is well grown out already. Amongst my potted seedlings I lost about 50% of my 2year olds yet the rest came through unscathed icon_scratch . Could it just be it was an unlucky one? -12C here :evil:
eddie

Post by eddie »

A small starting trunk of around 15cm high, I think the plant is 3 or 4 years old.
medjool

Post by medjool »

hi there
I had two trachys spear pull this year after -13c freeze similar size to yours,in the last week both have new spears emerging!dont give up yet!
grub

Post by grub »

eddie wrote:A small starting trunk of around 15cm high, I think the plant is 3 or 4 years old.
I had a Takagi and a Manipur about that size pull, I've left them alone but nothing yet :( , on the plus side, I put in a Takil the same size and that looks unmarked except for; a small amount of damage to the spear and that's grown out. :DD
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

my martianus spear fell off yesterday,at least it grew out rather than rot off inside. hopefully will get a few decent leaves to replace it as most of the old ones browned with sun scorch after i bought it last year
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
eddie

Post by eddie »

The spear is gone, but the rest looks fine. Maybe with a bit of water it will start to grow back....

It was an experiment for me, mine here at my garden has no damage, i was curious if any damage would occur if there was no specific care taken. Well i think i know the answer now.

This was how it looked like in this terrible winter
koeien 2 132.jpg