Phoenix canariensis_CIDP recovery this season

jacko

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP recovery this season

Post by jacko »

heres a couple of comparison shots of my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in march and then today,its recovered well hopefully a little tougher to get through this coming winter.
Attachments
The Codfather

Re: Phoenix canariensis_CIDP recovery this season

Post by The Codfather »

icon_thumleft it looks great again.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Thanks for posting, interesting. That's encouraging growth for people anticipating brown looking CIDPs by next spring. i think I remember you saying on the EPS that you protected it.

From what I've observed, CIDPs are okay as long as they don't spear-pull, if the bulk of all the fronds go brown but the central spear stays green at the bottom where it's emerging out of the trunk, then the omens are good for it's potential to recover.

At Horniman Museum they had a load of brown CIDPs, they were a little bit bigger than yours and they all looked liked brown bread as they still looked totally fried looking in August, so unlikely to be anything but compost heap material.

It seems to me that these are being used in landscaping schemes without too much consideration being given for their borderline hardiness when juvenile.

Encouragingly, there's a fairly large one near me (on a roundabout) that lost all it's fronds for the last 2 winters in a row, but recovered by late summer in both instances. It's not put out big fronds these past 2 years as a result, but it has survived. & If it survived those 2 winters, then don't see why it can't be a permanent fixture there. :D

My opinion is that CIDPs have the potential to become fully grown palm trees in the U.K. but most of the time succumb to being a 5-10 year bedding plant and dying off, much to the frustration of the palm enthusiast who planted it. That's why when we see mature ones such as at Southsea Common or Lambeth bridge it's so impressive as it's so rare.
medjool

Post by medjool »

Well done, none left in Hereford Leominster or most parts of the midlands!
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Well done jacko that is some come back. Looks great
jacko

Post by jacko »

cheers :D
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Oy Med, yes there is, mine :lol:

Just about made it and had growth this year, though not as impressive as your Jacko. It's come on well yours has. It looked a sorry sight like a dead stump and intended digging it up, tried to tug it from above and thought I would tackle it later on with a fork :roll: Anyway, the weeks went on and noticed green coming up from the middle, so left it. It's not had one perfect leaf yet, but reckoned if it just about hung on after last Winter, then it deserves a second chance. And yet my Butia died :(

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
medjool

Post by medjool »

Hi Dicass
Sorry to suggest all palms in hereford died!most did i hope yours pulls through i lost two Butias in Leominster,plus numerous Phoenix canariensis_CIDP ,Surprise here was my large Livistona Australis still with us with four new leaves this year after a Winter Duvet cover!I now have invested in 7 waggie palms plus a number of trachys,so not so worried this year!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

amazing recovery!!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

after discussing this subject with mike k,particularly about butias,we decided that we may not have given butias long enough to recover or at least show signs of it.the cold went on for so much longer,the damage would have gone much much deeper
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Just joshing Med :D

It has grown some, albeit slowly, this last Summer, and is alive, but now we have another Winter on top of us, so we'll see.... but not bad for a £5 plant reduced from about £20 which I intended to use just as bedding. I'll help it along some, the best I can this Winter, give it another chance.

Darren, do you mean that the Butias that we think have died/looks dead, may still be recovering from the roots, and should perhaps see top growth next year :? I'm hoping so, have still my stump in the ground, though nothing up top and will mulch well this year, just in case. If nothing after next Summer, it's coming up.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

yes Di, mike binned 3 of 6 he was assuming were dead.went to take the other 3 a few weeks ago and found they were pushing new growth
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

That hurts ........ loads :(

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
rburrena

Re: Canary Island Date Palm (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP) recovery this season

Post by rburrena »

I would like to contribute my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP recovery for 2011. :D

April 2011:

October 2011 (And still growing strongly) :

I was protected last winter.

GoggleboxUK

Re: Canary Island Date Palm (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP) recovery this season

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Wow! Amazing recoveries. Although I'm fairly confident all 3 of mine snuffed it, seeing how well these have recovered makes me wonder if I gave up too soon.

icon_scratch