Phoenix canariensis_CIDP recovery this season

Axel

Re: Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP) recovery this season

Post by Axel »

Hi Greville,
thanks for the pictures of the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP.
It looks like it has made a good comeback from what seems was an exceptionally cold winter in South London.

I have been in (south)London a couple of times driving around and apart from the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP´s in frontgardens i have seen loads of red cordylines. Have these been badly hit as well in the area around you?

thanks,
Axel
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Hi, Axel. Thank you for your patience icon_cheers You've waited a long time to see some shots of this - about as long as it's taken me to learn how to load these pictures without the help of my long-suffering wife. (she's an IT lecturer and I remain her worst pupil in the last twenty years :shock: - I can blame her as she's not paid to give me lessons :lol: )

At least I shouldn't have trouble providing visual updates next year - provided I don't lose the palm in a 2012 ice age :roll:

Many red cordies disappeared. I had two short-trunked specimens in ornamental tubs. I kept one out and the other in an unheated section of the greenhouse. I lost the one inside after the compost froze solid but the one outside was buried under 35cm of snow and survived.
Axel

Post by Axel »

Greville, did the survivor lose it's growing point/crown? Or was it undamaged? sorry for going O/T.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

No damage at all, Axel. The level snow covered the trunk ( and much of the container) and there was a loose mound over the spray of leaves giving some good insulation.

The Phoenix canariensis_CIDP experienced less leaf burn where the fronds spread over my shed and greenhouse arrangement. There was a greater level of snow cover on these fronds and the amount of damage was less on these than elsewhere. The recent picture shows a greater volume of surviving leaves over the buildings.

Powerful evidence of the insulating properties of the snow. Far more succulents survived underneath the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP this winter through deeper snow cover than the previous winter.
Axel

Post by Axel »

Thanks Greville, it sure proves the benefits of a full snowcover although im still surprised the small red cordy survived intact.

The way i see it, Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's and red cordylines (older ones) are reliable indicators of area's that drop till an absolute minimum of -6/-7C on a few occasions but always without dayfrosts. Any more frost, below -7C and/or dayfrosts for three days in a row, and nearly all the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's and red cordy's disappear from the area (absolute micorclimates excepted). So it's not surprising (parts of) greater London has seen damage to Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's and red cordy's in the last two winters. Even Islington has experienced temps low enough to damage Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and cordylines (not the plain green).
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

yes, i think snow cover makes a big difference. There is a tiny baby Phoenix canariensis_CIDP only about 20cm tall with fronds that survived near me. It was completed defoliated but has come back now. The fact that it is still alive at all even though it is so small i think is because it was small enough to be completely buried under the snow.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

There are quite a few small Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's in my area that have recovered because of a protective snow cover.

Judging by the general recovery of these and the red cordies in my area, I would say your description of the winter limits these plants can take are spot on, Axel. Surprising survivals and unexpected losses in South London have occurred but these are in the minority.

I think a carbon copy of last years winter would take more casualties , however.