Trachycarpus Roots

DiCasS

Trachycarpus Roots

Post by DiCasS »

I noticed the other day that the roots at the bottom of my Trachycarpus were exposed all the way round. The lower leaf bases had fallen off (well, tbh I suspect a certain rabbit has been ripping them apart) but am concerned about these exposed roots. Will there be any longterm damage to the plant or will the tree not be bothered by the exposure :?
Nothing I can do now, but want to be reassured that the tree will be okay.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Adrian

Re: Trachycarpus Roots

Post by Adrian »

All mature Trachys show adventitious roots at the base above ground level, if it is these that you are questioning then no worries, its quite normal.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

icon_cheers I'm reassured. Thanks Ade, yes these are the ones, from about six inches I would say max above ground level. Bob's been wrongly accused :roll:

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Don't worry Di, much better to show a bit of root which will keep it well drained through the winter so no need to cover the roots with soil. I was told years ago that it is better be lazy when digging a planting hole for a Palm for the same reason. - Very dodgy planting them in too deep a hole!
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

one exception to that is if you have a Trachycarpus with no roots,plonk it in deeper and those adventitious roots will shoot and keep the palm alive. this advice was only given after a couple of mine failed to re-root but it does work.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I wouldn't advise planting too high, as the soil is likely to wash away leaving the palm high and dry. If it chooses to produce adventurous roots that is fine, but don't force it. Once the base of the palm is above ground very few, if any, new roots successfully make it to the soil. They are also prone to wind rock which further stops successful rooting :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Some good tips.

This ones been in the ground for around 9 years, first year I've noticed the roots like this. Here's a pic
Picture 1215 [800x600].jpg
Cathy, your up early, or late going to bed :lol:

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thats completely normal Di, they are nothing to do with planting too high or a rabbit or something having a nibble, if you were to lift the palm and sink it deeper you would probably find those roots showing again in a number of years.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Di, if you;ve had it 9 years, and it;s growing strong whats the worry? 8)
Though if you do suspect a rabbit how about putting a bit of mesh around the base for a while.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks for that Ade.

I know Nige, but it's just that I hadn't noticed them until I was having a good look round. They were probably there last year, but hadn't spotted them. When I seen them, I swifty put two and two together and got the wrong answer :lol:

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

DiCasS wrote:
Cathy, your up early, or late going to bed :lol:

Di

observent of you! insomnia is a bu***r :cry: finally grabbed a few ZZZzzzzz's from 5am to 7.15am this morning :roll: - tired now :D