Trachycarpus fortunei

Tom2006

Trachycarpus fortunei

Post by Tom2006 »

I have four of these palms. One is in the ground and three are in pots. I need to move the one in the ground and plan to move at least one if not all of the others into the ground as well. When would be a good time to do this and what soil would be best to plant them in? Should I mix in lots of grit?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Re: Trachycarpus fortunei

Post by kata »

Not much chance Tom of the roots anchoring to the soil at this time of year.

Soon the soil will be cold. I have one in a pot which will stay there, maybe next year I will plant it out.

Grit is good but I have none on mine.

Others more knowledgable will advise tom.

May work if they are in a shelterd positin if your fast. The next few days are for decent weather.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I've planted these at nearly every time of year. The nine palms (on ten foot centers) I have that line the road, where planted in early October of 2003.
If you're really concerned wait until spring and I always tell anyone planting these to "look up". I've seen them planted in places with overhead obstructions such as utility or power lines, building overhangs etc.
These are fairly tollerant and as long as there's no standing water during rainy times, no need to fuss over soil amendments.

Cheers, Barrie.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Thanks...I will wait until spring and then plant them out. Going to re-do one of my boarders as completely bored with it
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Just don't expect them to romp away in there first year as they may not do anything as the plant may well be concentrating on putting all its energy into the roots. I think mine has done that this year i have 2 planted out and they have been since early spring but as for gaining height there has been nothing all summer! just a few new leafs and that's it, on one of them it hasn't done anything its still the same size as when i planted it out :lol: There is a saying about when you plant palms Dave B knows it, its about year 1, 2 and 3 stages and what to expect. It's a bit like a rhyme.
Anyway mate good luck with them and keep us posted i would like to know your results on them. icon_thumright