A Washy crown with over 18 leaves

fgtbell

Re: A Washy crown with over 18 leaves

Post by fgtbell »

Si - I agree, the line for these is way down South compared to you - probably coastal, as well.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think it depends on how much you are prepared to protect. The way I see it is these last 3 winters have been far worse than anything we had for many years beforehand. If you want to have a Washingtonia, plant it out and forget it I have to agree the line has always been the extreme south coast.

I think this palm is one of dedication, as many Americans grow this in places far too cold over winter, but they really, really want to grow it. so will go to extreme lengths to protect. ie Structures built around it, with lighting and heating etc.

My big one was not protected in 2001 and completely defoliated, that shocked me, and I thought I had lost it, It bounced back in summer and the next 4 years it was fleeced. Then it became too big to get fleece over, but as luck would have it the minimum winter temps were between -3.8 and -5.1C to 2007/8, and it sailed through with minimal damage, The followed winter 2008/9 with -5.6C and blizzards. The -5.6C it seemed to cope with but the blizzards completely desicated the leaves.

After the blizzards I decided I needed to protect it again, but the question was how? Along came the Parasol idea which would keep the worst of the radiation freezes and snow off the crown. I also used rope lights to add a little heat close to the trunk. These were turned on when temps fell below freezing :wink: 2009/10 was a worse winter than 2008/9 but the damage was considerably less. For 2010/11 I refined the parasol having more guys tied to the trunk to make it wind proof, and again this has worked well, but as we had such cold weather, approaching -10C, even with the protection it has suffered as much as in 2008/9 with none. I have no doubt that had it been unprotected I'd be digging out the stump this summer. As it is, it is looking promising at this point :wink:

Bottom line is... if you want a palm to plant and forget Trachycarpus fortunei is a much better choice :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Si »

Bottom line is...if the winter trend continues (and theres no indication it won't) of it getting colder, the next one could be worse...but I'm glad yours is ok Dave.