Ricinus seeds have started

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
derrick

Ricinus seeds have started

Post by derrick »

I got some Red stems Blues and Zanz i hope i dont cook them in my Conserv gets a bit hot for seedlings. They just started to shoot last week
dave2166

Re: Ricinus seeds have started

Post by dave2166 »

they do like a bit of heat but just watch they dont get leggy, or root bound, they put out lots of roots very quickly. i potted 8 into 10cm pots today, they were 6 inches tall and 2 weeks since sowing, but had already started to curl roots around the modules.
i'm thinking that next year i will put them into a MP compost mix and sow into bigger modules straight off.
derrick

Post by derrick »

How about water how much water do you give them .Are keep and eye out dont want them to go leggy .2 years ago i lost some i think it was heat or to dry My conserv hit about 40 and cooked them all on sunny side of conserv thanks dave
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I haven't sown mine yet. I have New Zealand Purple and Zanzipalm to go in.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

New Zealand purple look nice Bodster had some of them nice colour
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

i keep mine on the moist side, definatley not dry... they are big thick stems they wont rot off,

just sold a load this week on ebay, theyve gone very well, wish i'd done more zanzi's,

got red stem giants, new zealands and some new ones from jungles seeds to go it later this month
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

Dave Brown wrote:I haven't sown mine yet. I have New Zealand Purple and Zanzipalm to go in.
TBH dave, as you know its one of those you can do pretty much anytime isnt it, theyre like runner beans, give them a chance and they will rocket away,

i just wanted to get ahead of the game....., and make a few quid on the side too :wink: :wink:
boybeck

Post by boybeck »

I had a packet of eight seeds (NZ Purple) from Chiltern Seeds. Only one has germinated. The seeds were in individual pots of compost in a propagator. Not sure what went wrong? I have ordered another batch of seeds. Fingers crossed for better luck this time.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

boybeck wrote:I had a packet of eight seeds (NZ Purple) from Chiltern Seeds. Only one has germinated. The seeds were in individual pots of compost in a propagator. Not sure what went wrong? I have ordered another batch of seeds. Fingers crossed for better luck this time.
How long have they been in boybeck :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by boybeck »

About three weeks. I dug down to one of the seeds and there was no sign of life. Having seen your post I have just ordered Zanzi Palm seeds too. They look great!
Not heard of them before.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I had trouble with NZ purple this year as well with just two germinating and of those two, one rotted and ones a wimp.
All other Ricinus have 100% germination.
Ive had two blue giants in the ground for a fortnight now, cloched of course, from a February sowing.
boybeck

Post by boybeck »

Hi Adrian

Have you put your Ensete Maurelli out yet? Are we likely to get any more frost here in south Hampshire? I have them in pots outside and was wondering when to stick them in the ground.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

well that has gone well off topic there boybeck :lol: :lol: ensete/ricinus?
boybeck

Post by boybeck »

Hehe sorry about that. I was seizing the opportunity to speak to a fellow enthusiast about three miles down the road :-)
simon

Post by simon »

last year I only sowed half the packs of ricinus (NZP and Red Stem giant) and have sowed the other half this year. They have been in the fridge for a year and all 5 NZP have germinated so it doesn't sound like a freshness problem.