Fatsia cuttings

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
miketropic

Fatsia cuttings

Post by miketropic »

Anyone have a sure fire way to get fatsia to grow from cuttings? There all very new to me but seeing as all but 1 came from the UK I would like to have some back ups if I can. as much detail as possible on the method please.
brendan

Re: Fatsia cuttings

Post by brendan »

Mike your fatsias are still quite small but when they are bigger you can cut the top 4 inches of the main growing point off(as long as not about to flower from that stem)Then reduce the amount of leaves down to about 2 or 3 small leaves then dip the cut end in rooting hormone then push it down about 2 inches into a free draining mix of perlite and your chosen compost.Keep slightly moist in a shady place and wait till it start to push out new growth and should be rooted.Heres a recent one of a variegata I have done this summer.
Your main plant should then push out more growth points from lower down the trunk becoming multi headed.
Attachments
fatsia cuttings 119.JPG
fatsia cuttings 120.JPG
brendan

Post by brendan »

Not such a good method but you can also tear a lower leaf off close to the stem(taking a little bit of the stem with it)Then using scissors reduce the size of the leaf by cutting the lobes off.Dip in rooting hormone then push down into a pot full of free draining mix of perlite and compost.keep slightly moist i shady place and leave for a long time.Heres one I did last year and the other picture is of a fatsia variegata plant that came from one of these leaf cuttings about 2 years ago.The trouble ive found is sometimes they root well but never grow a growing point thats why I think you probably need a little bit of the stem.I don't pretend to be an expert but both methods have worked for me.
I have tried the same methods with polycarpa and they have rotted away they seem to be a bit more fussy.
Attachments
fatsia cuttings 121.JPG
fatsia cuttings 122.JPG
fatsia cuttings 123.JPG
fatsia cuttings 124.JPG
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

thank you so much for the info. I'm always scared to take growth point cuttings of somthin. I just recently got a common green fatsia that I think this happened to as it has a second trunk comming out the side, so 2 plants off the same stem. Doubt anyone did this on purpose though. I will bring them all in his year and once they get some size I might try a cutting or 2. just dont want a 8 headed beast I can't do much with...

I wonder if a t rex would do the same thing if the top 4 inchs or so got cut off?
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Mike have you any flowers on your Fatsia this year?
If so, wait for the berries, pick, and sow them late spring, they're very easy from seed.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Nigel Fear wrote:Mike have you any flowers on your Fatsia this year?
If so, wait for the berries, pick, and sow them late spring, they're very easy from seed.
I have been told they are easy to grow from cuttings but never thought of seed growing them , i may try that icon_thumleft
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

fern Rob wrote:
I have been told they are easy to grow from cuttings but never thought of seed growing them , i may try that icon_thumleft
Rob, all you'd need is one ripe umbel, that would produce enough viable seeds for a whole forest of them.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Nigel Fear wrote:
fern Rob wrote:
Rob, all you'd need is one ripe umbel, that would produce enough viable seeds for a whole forest of them.
I think i will have a go at that. icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I don't think my season is long enough to ever get flowers or berries. my fatsias have grown crazy indoors this winter. I left one out in -23c..we will see if it returns