Eucalyptus leucoxylon 'rosea'

Rod

Eucalyptus leucoxylon 'rosea'

Post by Rod »

Hi There - just like to share some images of my Eucalyptus leucoxylon 'rosea' just starting to flower, with a bumper crop of buds ready to open.
Anyone growing this in the U.K ?

billdango

Re: Eucalyptus leucoxylon 'rosea'

Post by billdango »

Never seen one for sale here but it should grow outside in Southampton as we have similar weather to Christchurch.

I would give it a go if I had one?

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

from a distance it looks like a fushcia. :)
Rod

Post by Rod »

billdango wrote:Never seen one for sale here but it should grow outside in Southampton as we have similar weather to Christchurch.

I would give it a go if I had one?

Hi Bill ~ Yes get one if you can find one. they should grow well for you on the south coast.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'd try one here, but we are right on the limit for Eucalyptus globulus, and red/pink flowered Eucs tend to be less hardy than the white.

Maybe that is why we don't see them here.

My E.gunii is in flower now :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Rod »

Dave Brown wrote:I'd try one here, but we are right on the limit for Eucalyptus globulus, and red/pink flowered Eucs tend to be less hardy than the white.

Hi Dave, I just read up on your E.Gunii on Wikipedia and saw this

This species is noted for exceptional cold tolerance for a eucalyptus (to −14 °C, exceptionally −20 °C for brief periods) and is now commonly planted as an ornamental tree across the British Isles and some parts of western Europe.[3] Fast-growing, it will produce a tree up to 37 m tall when mature,[4] with growth rates of up to 1.5 m (rarely 2 m) per year. Pruning can be employed to maintain the tree as a small shrub if required and more shaded spots will restrict growth. It does not grow well on sandy/chalky soils or very wet sites. The foliage will change as the tree matures from a round leaf of waxy blue colour to a more elongated rich green foliage in the older tree but if maintained as a shrub the juvenile foliage will be retained. The plant produces a sweet sap similar to maple syrup, and is being considered for cultivation for this product. When bottled and capped, the liquid ferments and resembles apple cider, hence cider gum. The sweet foliage is eagerly eaten by livestock.

I did not know that there were Eucalypts that could take temps that low.

What other Eucalypts are hardy in the UK ?
grub

Post by grub »

My Gunni was well and truly battered by -19C but is trying... About half of it is gone though so at some point I'm going to have to get up it and take off some branches :(
billdango

Post by billdango »

Rod wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:I'd try one here, but we are right on the limit for Eucalyptus globulus, and red/pink flowered Eucs tend to be less hardy than the white.

Hi Dave, I just read up on your E.Gunii on Wikipedia and saw this

This species is noted for exceptional cold tolerance for a eucalyptus (to −14 °C, exceptionally −20 °C for brief periods) and is now commonly planted as an ornamental tree across the British Isles and some parts of western Europe.[3] Fast-growing, it will produce a tree up to 37 m tall when mature,[4] with growth rates of up to 1.5 m (rarely 2 m) per year. Pruning can be employed to maintain the tree as a small shrub if required and more shaded spots will restrict growth. It does not grow well on sandy/chalky soils or very wet sites. The foliage will change as the tree matures from a round leaf of waxy blue colour to a more elongated rich green foliage in the older tree but if maintained as a shrub the juvenile foliage will be retained. The plant produces a sweet sap similar to maple syrup, and is being considered for cultivation for this product. When bottled and capped, the liquid ferments and resembles apple cider, hence cider gum. The sweet foliage is eagerly eaten by livestock.

I did not know that there were Eucalypts that could take temps that low.

What other Eucalypts are hardy in the UK ?
I have counted at least 15 different Eucalyptus species in Southampton but unfortunatly I can't name any of them as I am not an expert on that Genera of plants?

Some of these Eucalyptuses are massive [up to 90 feet in hieght] and Southampton is full of these trees.

I have shown a couple of these on my last thread [common exotics in Southampton parks and gardens,21-30] and I will be adding many more species soon so someone on the forum may be able to identify these.

The 5 specimens I have in my garden are as follows=E glaucescens,E darympleana,E nitens,E gunni,and E pauciflora?

There may be many others besides the 15 mentioned above so I will keep an eye opened and try to get pictures of them.

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I think the Chelsea Physic Garden in London has one of these in it...

I grew some seedlings of E. leucoxylon megalocarpa a couple of years ago (very easy from seed) but unfortunately the one seedling I kept didn't make that winter of 2009/2010. It was only about 6 inches tall though, so had it been bigger it probably would have been ok...
billdango

Post by billdango »

It might be worth trying some of the yellow flowering species here on the South Coast if they can be purchased from somewhere.

I think I saw a nursery offering at least 2 dozen Eucalyptus species on their website on E BAY.

May be worth checking that out?

billdango :D :D