can you grow citrus in the uk outside?

medjool

can you grow citrus in the uk outside?

Post by medjool »

citrus in the uk?
has anyone grown these outside in the uk?
pete G

Re: can you grow citrus in the uk outside?

Post by pete G »

I think the best answer is yes but dont expect any fruit.
Thats my experience any way.

Last winter my seed grown Seville oranges were cut to the ground by frost, both were growing in sheltered positions and had grown well for four years.
They have regrown this year.

I have a couple of Clementines that spend 90% of the year outside, but being in pots I can move them undercover if needed.
They flower well, but fruiting is not good.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes you can and they fruit.
I have a lemon, a variegated lemon, a lime, an orange and a calamonin orange and they all fruit well.
This year has been an exception as they all took a fair hammering last winter but all, except for the lime have made great foliage recoveries but slow on flowering.
I have found fruit to stay on the plants for a few years.

Nothing like going to one of the lemons or the lime and taking off fresh fruit to use in drinks at the BBQs.
I havent eaten an orange yet as I prefer to leave the fruits on as mediterranean colour.

Citrus arent fully hardy and will need a degree of protection, I use the heavy duty pop up fleece bags.
medjool

Post by medjool »

Hello in Galicia Northern Spain,I have a large maybe 15ft citrus sinensis,naval orange,This tree is in a sheltered sw facing aspect against the house,last winter survived -7c with no damage at 2000ft above see level. The fruit are very sweet and tasty best in march,but have a very very thick peel im told this is a result of the extreme cold! Perhaps i will try these in the uk soon!
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I have several of these from McKenzie farms. I'd imagine there's a similar nursery over in the UK or Europe but this will give you a basic idea.

Cheers, Barrie.

http://mckenzie-farms.com/photo.htm
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

Here in southern California citrus are as common as apple trees in the UK (and apples non-existant!) We live in a rented condo in landscaped grounds and the commonest trees are the citrus - lemons, Key limes, various oranges and grapefruit. Just outside our condo is a huge grapefruit laden with fruit. We are able to eat these on a daily basis from December to April. The flavour and sweetness, ripe from the tree is so different from the tart specimens from UK supermarkets!
Grapefruit.jpg
the most unusual is the Buddha's hand
Buddha's hand.jpg
So wish I could grow back in my UK garden!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

We can grow several types of Citrus, but not the sweet ones based on sinesis. I have a Citrange type called Rusk, which is a Maralade type Orange hardy to -12C, although it has not fruited for me yet. It is still in a pot at the moment as the major problem with growing them here is the heaviness of the soil. Citrus require oxygen at the root and any heaviness of the soil is a definate no-no. They require an acid sandy mix and is probably best suited to a raised bed in most places. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright