TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Rex') Sasa Palmata in disguise

weve

Re: TRex, or Sasa Palmata in disguise :-o

Post by weve »

If it is "still the main plant" and is affected by the loss of the main growing point then that could indicate the "runner" is in fact a rhizome and not a root. I must say, looking at your pics, it looks to be behaving like a rhizome.

What it is botanically is just academic as it still spreads whatever, but would be interesting to know.

All my old plant anatomy books are in the loft and so have to rely on VERY shaky and uncertain memory, but I seem to remember that, generally, most dicot plant roots have the vascualar tissue arranged in a loosely "X" shaped small central core (when seen in cross section) whereas stems (and presumably rhizomes) have separate bundles of vascular tissue arranged in a ring.

Can you see any structure on the cut ends? And where the suckers are arising from on the runner, is there any evidence of nodes?

All in all quite frightening tho'. Dave.

When (if?) I extend my barriered area (perhaps next year), my intention is to dig a hole immediately outside the barrier and then cut it open and attach more barrier to it so it lines the new hole. During this process hopefully, this should present a good opportunity to examine the root system in situ, (as if in a pot) so finally I'll have a indication of just how deep and extensive a root system a barriered rex has.
Last edited by weve on Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Blimey, that is scarey reading. Think I will be making my barrier at least 300mm
deep before the plant gets too big. :shock:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I cut one of my stems down today to try to layer it, I don't know if it will end up like I want it to look, as the new buds are making their way from bottom to top of the stems, and haven't reached the desired height yet. And just out of curiosity, just to see whether it would take or not, I stuck the trunk that I cut off straight into the soil. Whilst digging a hole for the trunk to go in, nearly chopped off another pup. Only two as yet, but going by this thread, suspect a few more will appear before the Summer's out.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Chris Dicas your brave to do such a drastic act :lol: :lol: you must have bigger mahoneys than me to do such a thing :lol: :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

:lol: I dunno Nick, I was fed up last year of not seeing the leaves properly, only the undersides. I'm hoping it will work, but things seem a bit slow at the moment, I reckon it's putting all it's energy now into sending out pups. Three now :? Personally though, I prefer these plants at eye level.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

how much of a gamble would it be to takeout the mother plant allowing the pup or pups to grow...
Nick

Post by Nick »

Bobby mate smells and slugs seem to love T-Rex pups new shoots and leafs just like Banana shoots they just seem to go mad for them, so I would leave the main plant it because you could end up with nothing if you removed the main plant, mine out front is pushing up 3 more new pups, I'll have to get out there and carefully remove the soil and find where they are coming from and see if I can safely remove them for growing on else where :?: 17 pups in total from my 5 T-Rexes,it's a good year for suckering :(

icon_sunny icon_sunny