TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Rex') Sasa Palmata in disguise

Dave Brown
Site Admin

TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Rex') Sasa Palmata in disguise

Post by Dave Brown »

I think we all now know that TRex is a suckering plant even though it takes a couple of years to get going. but up to now the roots I have seen are standard fleshy Aralia roots. I must have had a pup in 2008 without realising it as they were under an Ensete. Lastr year the pups reached about 18 inches, and one of them flowered which surprised me as it was so small.

Anyway the one that did not flower has started to grow again as in this pic.
20100401 TRex growth 01.jpg
Also about 4 feet further on two more pups have appeared
20100401 TRex pup 02.jpg
But today while looking to see if there were any more pups I noticed something a bit more sinister. At the base of the trunk of the 2 year pup appeared to be a horizontal trunk. I removed some of the soil and horror of horrors, it is the TRex root, but about 3cm diameter and woody. Has anyone else noticed this :?: That would be far more difficult to dig up than the soft fleshy roots I am used to. If it grows underground trunks it could be a problem if left for a few years.
20100406 TRex root.jpg
Still Love TRexes though icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: TRex, or Sasa Palmata in disguise :-o

Post by carolpz »

Wait until they start appearing on the other side of a gravel path about 15ft away from the mother plant. :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Oh dear, best catch it early before it gets to out of hand and like you say could become a problem. that is one hell of a trunk on the T rex.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

carolpz wrote:Wait until they start appearing on the other side of a gravel path about 15ft away from the mother plant. :lol:
The first thing I thought of reading Daves post was your garden Carol,and your lawn of rexes :lol:
Daves plant came from one of your pups didn't it?say no more :wink:

I have had rexes popping up quite a way from the main plant,and after digging out for a play area near it have found their roots also go down quite deep,so may not be quite as contained as I prviously thought in its raised bed.Found the first pup outside the planter last weekend :shock:
I think my neighbours really goingto have the 'arris we me in a couple of years time eh! :lol:
Time to sell up maybe :idea:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

carolpz wrote:Wait until they start appearing on the other side of a gravel path about 15ft away from the mother plant. :lol:
It's not a gravel path just gravel added as weed suppressant, but it is now only 3 feet from the lawn, and as it is the TRex you sent me we all know how much they love your lawns :ahhh!:

I've heard of Chamomile lawns, thyme lawns, are we now going into the era of Rice paper lawns :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by weve »

Dave, exactly how old is it? Mine (origin Mulu) is coming up to 3 years old now and I have only had 2 pups (so far, and both totally eaten by snails!).

Carol's rex is infamous (bless it) and, if i remember correctly, it was her despairing post about it that turned me from a long-term lurker into a member here!

Worrying tho' - a root such as that could rule the world! - and could even be a match for my barrier! Mine is planted close to my Dicksonia antarctica and I remember a photo posted a long, long time ago (on a forum far away -old UKO i think) of a rex sucker growing out of a Dicksonia antarctica trunk (unless it was faked with photoshop) This was the final straw to motivate me to finally decide to use a barrier (plus Mulu's advice). Hopefully its deep enough!
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

I was just about to post in Swaps & Exchanges asking for a T.Rex pup. If anyone has one or two to sell on I'm interested.

Mike.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

I'm hoping mine does that,trying to create that unplanned jungle look.My biggest planted out one has thrown suckers upto 10 feet away from parent,currently has 5 suckers from last year,but I dug out 11 that had appeared in an 8 x 6 greenhouse quite close to the parent.Only one in there this year though,whole floor is covered with pots.

metalhammer.
simon

Post by simon »

I wonder whether allowing a pup to develope into a mature plant causes it to form this thick woody root between it and the parent plant, and that removing pups as they emerge might prevent this happening. Just a hypothesis.

Slightly worried about mine (ex Carolpz) too now. There are a lot of them about too, as Carol has been so generous in distributing them :lol: . Weve, my other one in the back garden, which came from Kev Spence never forms pups so perhaps they are a safer option. In the long term I may consider propping a root cutting of the Kev Spence one and use it to replace the Carolpz one (If I can get rid of it all).
simon

Post by simon »

metalhammer wrote:I'm hoping mine does that,trying to create that unplanned jungle look.
Be careful what you wish for Metalhammer :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

weve wrote:Dave, exactly how old is it? Mine (origin Mulu) is coming up to 3 years old now and I have only had 2 pups (so far, and both totally eaten by snails!).
I have a couple that I got from Steve Jacobs varigated ex mulu plant, but the one that is suckering now is a pup from Carol's infamous TRex. It was about a foot tall, so a yearling back in spring 2007. That would make the plant 4 years old
weve wrote: Carol's rex is infamous (bless it) and, if i remember correctly, it was her despairing post about it that turned me from a long-term lurker into a member here!
Yes, just bumped that topic up to see how Carol fared :wink:
weve wrote: Worrying tho' - a root such as that could rule the world! - and could even be a match for my barrier! Mine is planted close to my Dicksonia antarctica and I remember a photo posted a long, long time ago (on a forum far away -old UKO i think) of a rex sucker growing out of a Dicksonia antarctica trunk (unless it was faked with photoshop) This was the final straw to motivate me to finally decide to use a barrier (plus Mulu's advice). Hopefully its deep enough!
I think they are attracted to the watering given to Dicksonia antarctica. The line of pups is definately heading straight for my Dicksonia antarctica :ahhh!:

Mike, I may have a pup later :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by metalhammer »

Cheers Dave.

metalhammer.
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

Cheers Dave. Let me know as and when it/they are available.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Dave Brown wrote:I think they are attracted to the watering given to Dicksonia antarctica. The line of pups is definately heading straight for my Dicksonia antarctica :ahhh!:
LOL - What an image that conjures up..... :lol:

Never mind a Rex lawn, it could eventually become a Rex forest....!!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Simba wrote:
LOL - What an image that conjures up..... :lol:

Never mind a Rex lawn, it could eventually become a Rex forest....!!
Day of the TRex IFFIDS. Help one's just eaten my Dicksonia antarctica :lol: :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright