Tetrapanax Papyrifer - Where to plant?

cartel

Tetrapanax Papyrifer - Where to plant?

Post by cartel »

I have a TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer ) I bought from ebay last October as a small pup. It is now growing nicely and is ready to be planted out but the problem is the suckering habit of Trex .
The spot I planned to plant it is only 1 meter from a brand new cobbled path we laid last year, I don't want it destroyed with those runners produced by the Trex.

Can it be planted in a tub sunk in to the soil or is it possible to shield one side of the roots with a couple of paving slabs sunk in the ground?

Has anyone tried any of these methods?

Terry
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Tetrapanax Papyrifer - Where to plant?

Post by Dave Brown »

This is early days yet on these Terry, but I have not seen any evidence that they will push up through cobbles. It seems from what we are just learning that if a pup is left a large woody interconnecting root can form, but they are not rhizomes like bamboo. From current combined experience it seems if you want to contain it a rhizome barrier would be sufficient. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cartel »

Thanks for the info Dave, I think I'll go with the rhizome barrier idea and keep an eye on it to see where it might send any pups through. Although as it's quite small, it probably won't happen this year.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will put on enough growth to survive the next winter

Terry
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

When I planted mine out I dug a huge hole and put an old dustbin in the ground with the bottom cut away, so far it's prove effective enough at containment, though it's only been there around 3 or maybe 4 years.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Definately contain it.... been dealing with mine this evening and it's become delinquent. T asbo Rex :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Mine has pupped for the first time this year, Jase had a couple (if they take) and they popped up about 8 feet away from the T. rex.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'll write a full report in the TRex or Sasa palmate in disguise topic. But I'm shocked at what I found tonight. :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Bob »

I'm thinking of knocking up a band of stainless steel at work, how deep, or wide should I make the band?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I dont think they will be anything like Sasa or Psuedosasa palmatum, they are thugs that will push up anywhere and through anything, I believe Tetrapanax will be easily removed if found in the wrong place.
Of course I could be wrong :lol:
weve

Post by weve »

Nigel
Can I ask about your Rex? How big and how many branches?

Mine (3 yo) has stopped dead in its tracks this year (after flowering last summer and now having 6 branches ....well actually, 3 branches from last year plus 3 big developing shoot buds ). Apart from that all I got is a few small leaves and thats it!. I am beginning to get concerned that the barriered contained roots may not be able to support that amount of growth. (or it may be just the cool temps this year). Its been fed and recently watered as per normal.

I was thinking about extending the barriered area a little anyway, but I have too much new work to do in the garden this year to spend time fine tuning what's already planted. My barriered area is about 3' 6" diam (I know i said 4' in an earlier post, but since then I have had a bit of a measure :) ). But if yours does ok in a dustbin sized area there may be no need.
thanks & cheers icon_salut
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Weve, mine is the same, with the main growth point dead and 13 side shoots that have only just started to move. I have found it was very dry and have watered a lot over the last few days, but it is free to roam and pupping like there is no tomorrow, so the year may be more of a problem than the containment :wink:
Attachments
20100424 TRex shoots.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by weve »

Dave
Thanks for the reassurance. I think icon_sunny Nick's has 'stalled' too. But if I remember correctly his is planted in a raised bed so has less of a root run than if in the open too.

Mine started growing at the normal time and rate but has only produced 6" leaves that then don't develop any further (so far). But as you say the weather hasn't helped. The March/early April night time temps here have rivalled the coldest Dec/Jan night time temps experienced here in the last 10 years or so (excepting these last two winters, of course!).

By the way, your "cliffhanger" "I'll write a full report in the TRex or Sasa palmate in disguise topic. But I'm shocked at what I found tonight." is driving me mad with curiosity :) please do tell soon...............

cheers

EDIT: Straying a little OT. One of my main concerns with my Rex was one of the main branches had stopped producing leaves altogether! Had a close look inside the bud today and altho' its really difficult to tell, it looks like a flower stalk could be forming. Not sure yet, but if so thats really early!

BTW Dave, (Now this is totally off topic! :oops: sorry, but whilst I'm here) Just planted out my new luxurians today (alas no cuttings successes yet either).