Best potting mix with these ingredients ....

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
ourarka

Best potting mix with these ingredients ....

Post by ourarka »

I know the world of compost and potting mixes is an endless one, and there are lots of great threads already ( many of which I have read through). This year I do want to put a bit more care in to my potting mixes, as it clearly makes a difference, but don't have an endless budget in order to source all the different components.

Obviously the exact requirements varies from plant to plant, but just wondered what a good general purpose potting mix would be (ratio wise) using (or not omitting) the following:

Good quality peat-free general purpose compost
John Innes No. 2
Perlite
Sand/grit
Garden soil
Compost waste

Anything else that would really make a difference to add in .... thats fairly easily/cheaply sourced?

I can then tweak from the basic recipe according to plant's needs.
fern Rob

Re: Best potting mix with these ingredients ....

Post by fern Rob »

You could do with adding bark.
flounder

Re: Best potting mix with these ingredients ....

Post by flounder »

I don't tend to use garden soil in a potting mix, it tends to compact and goes 'sour'. I also don't weigh the ratios. I mix roughly a bucket of home made compost with a bucket of mpc, use a peat free type if you're minted or value the environment...I'm not and I do, but I'm not minted!
I mix this with half bucket of coarse sand bought from builders merchants, it's washed, good enough for me. I do add well composted leaf mulch when I've got it, it gives a nice silky feel to the mix but adds only bulk no real nutrient value. Perlite gets added at a rough 50/50 mix but tend to use this for potting on cuttings and divisions.

Everybody develops their own favourite, there's no right or wrong. Do a seasonal trial with a few differing combinations you'll soon find one that works well for your own uses.

I have a different variation for pots in full sun compared to ones in shade. To do with moisture retention and drainage.