Is 100gsm fleece too much for winter protection?

cordyman

Is 100gsm fleece too much for winter protection?

Post by cordyman »

Not bought any of my fleece yet and all the ebay stuff is 30gsm with a couple of 50's.

Would 100gsm be the ultimate, albeit at a higher price?

such as the jumbo zip fleece here

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/Harr ... kie_test=1

I want the jacket type I can throw over various palms which will reach the ground to create the drape effect.
Panama Pete

Re: Is 100gsm fleece too much for winter protection?

Post by Panama Pete »

I found a tacky shop called once home bargains last year. They were a pound each in there :shock:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

100 gsm? :shock:
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

They were 70GSM fleece but they worked. :)

I need to find some chicken wire cheap to wrap the Musas but its costly for a little roll.

pete
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

poundland were doing cheapo rolls of chicken wire for (doh) £1 earlier in the year.

i got a load in for my musas.
i also used it for putting clemetis on my gutter pipe.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

The problem with fleece jackets is that get wet easily and then sit on top of the plant and freeze, plus in deep cold they don't really give much protection. Wrapping in many layers of thinner fleece should keep the plant warmer. A bit like 5 thin t-shirts will keep you warmer then two thicker t-shirts.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

For palms though isn't the consensus on here wrapping is very bad?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cordyman wrote:For palms though isn't the consensus on here wrapping is very bad?
It's very debatable.... You will lots of people wrapping palms, cycads, cordylines etc.

I think it depends on the species and your local climate. On balance I think draping is better in most situations.
simon

Post by simon »

Draping will allow the wet fleece to contact leaves and may result in frost damage but I doubt that would be any worse that unprotected leaves. The main issue is that a fleece bag stops wet getting into the emerging spear and prevents heat loss through radiation while allowing some air circulation that wrapping would prevent.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
you do not want the fleece too thick as plants need air and water and light to survive. I bought a 100 meter roll of 30 thickness. Think what I will do is use my fleece jackets on my large palms which have cord strings to keep them in place( 30 thickness) and if really bad weather is forecast( throw another layer off my 100m roll over the palm just while the very bad weather is about, then remove it when weather gets abit better. Fleece does not normally stay wet as it is light weight and air passes through and water, so the fleece should not freeze. I am going to put loads of fleece down the crown of my tree fern and if bad weather is forecast( snow etc) put a cord fleece bag over the fleece and then throw another layer of fleece over it( only until bad weather passes).

So I think a couple of layers are better than one big thick layer and you can then always remove 1 layer during better weather etc. If we get loads of snow and very cold temps forecast and I get worried, I will just take my roll of 100 meter fleece and wrap like crazy, but will remove asap after bad weather.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

The fleece froze many times in my garden last winter.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Panama Pete wrote:I found a tacky shop called once home bargains last year. They were a pound each in there :shock:
:lol: Home bargains is a pretty big store pete. They are just about all over the UK.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

My fleece bags never froze once, maybe because they were on pots and high up and in the breeze and water drained off, through easily. Using fleece off a roll will be a first time for me. I so hope this winter is not as bad as last.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Pop up fleece tubes are still the best bet, they give palms/plants room inside to breathe and are easy to put down when the weather allows, I have posted many a time about them.
I use a clear plastic 4 or 5 tier greenhouse cover over the top and they fit perfectly giving light in and holding heat in when needed.
I really cant understand why they arent everybodys first choice especially as Haskins were selling them at just £6 a piece a couple of years back, even the fleece case that they come in is useful.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Adrian wrote:Pop up fleece tubes are still the best bet, they give palms/plants room inside to breathe and are easy to put down when the weather allows, I have posted many a time about them.
I use a clear plastic 4 or 5 tier greenhouse cover over the top and they fit perfectly giving light in and holding heat in when needed.
I really cant understand why they arent everybodys first choice especially as Haskins were selling them at just £6 a piece a couple of years back, even the fleece case that they come in is useful.
Are you saying they are available as an off-the-shelf product rather han having to buy pop up bins/washing baskets and rip and recover?

If they are available ready made I'd like to know where I can buy them from as I'd definitely use them and a handful of tent pegs rather than faffing about building my own.