Ericaceous soil.

karl66

Ericaceous soil.

Post by karl66 »

Do most palm's prefer this type of soil, i know its for mainly lime hating palms& plants.Also palms like Brahea amarta are said to like a loamy soil, what is this & how do you achieve it. karl.
Nick

Re: Ericaceous soil.

Post by Nick »

I don't think your palms would like or be happy if it was planted in Ericaceous soil. A loam soil is soil with lots of decaying plant material like lots and lots of the contents of your compost bin mixed into the soil.I hope this helps answer your question :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
simon

Post by simon »

I have to say I disagree with Nick's analysis of loam. Loam is basically soil of natural constituents in a balanced concentrations, i.e. sand, silt and clay, making it nutrient rich, well draining and easy to work.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

My opinion is that the majority of palms would prefer ericaceous compost over loam when in pots. Loam soils drain freely when you refer to the ground , but in pots they remain heavy and claggy.
The most basic requirements of the majority of palms is a slightly acid soil which is light and well aerated.
Brahea armata is a good example of an exception which would prefer a loam based soil.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I stand corrected, I thought loam soils had lots of dead rotted plant material contained within, I have broad shoulders and don't mind admit when wrong :lol: not to worry was trying to help. but thanks for the info Simon :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Nick wrote:I stand corrected, I thought loam soils had lots of dead rotted plant material contained within, I have broad shoulders and don't mind admit when wrong :lol: not to worry was trying to help. but thanks for the info Simon :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny

Nick I think its a common misconception because when you buy john innes number 4 it always contains organic matter, but it is `loam based` rather than loam and people tend to make a natural association between the two.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nigel wrote:
Nick wrote:I stand corrected, I thought loam soils had lots of dead rotted plant material contained within, I have broad shoulders and don't mind admit when wrong :lol: not to worry was trying to help. but thanks for the info Simon :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny

Nick I think its a common misconception because when you buy john innes number 4 it always contains organic matter, but it is `loam based` rather than loam and people tend to make a natural association between the two.
Nigel, would you fill a pot with a small jubea in it with Ericaceous soil & perlit with say a 80/20 mix?. karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Karl, Jubaea is one I would probably put into a loam based soil , it doesnt need much fert and is a palm accustomed to this type of soil.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nigel wrote:Karl, Jubaea is one I would probably put into a loam based soil , it doesnt need much fert and is a palm accustomed to this type of soil.
Thanks, so is there an off the shelf mix you would reccomend & would this be the same formula if planted out. karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

You can buy John Innes number 4 at any garden centre. Should be good for Jubaea, but I found it too heavy for most palms.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nigel wrote:You can buy John Innes number 4 at any garden centre. Should be good for Jubaea, but I found it too heavy for most palms.
Nigel, i've bought some soil for when it arrives end of next wk. I've had a big bag of Ericaceous soil & a bag of Wests plus which is a special lightweight compost, i'll obviously put perlite in the mix. Still really undecided on repotting or planting out, remember it could be another 10 days before it was planted out. I think its two small to take a risk, whats your view. karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

karl66 wrote:Still really undecided on repotting or planting out, remember it could be another 10 days before it was planted out. I think its two small to take a risk, whats your view. karl.
karl, I didnt respond in your EPS question because I thought David gave you an excellent reply.
Plant the pot in the ground as near to the house or a warm wall as possible and in spring lift the pot and plant it properly.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nigel wrote:
karl66 wrote:Still really undecided on repotting or planting out, remember it could be another 10 days before it was planted out. I think its two small to take a risk, whats your view. karl.
karl, I didnt respond in your EPS question because I thought David gave you an excellent reply.
Plant the pot in the ground as near to the house or a warm wall as possible and in spring lift the pot and plant it properly.
Thanks. EPS seems a decent site, its just not very busy incase anyone needs a quick response!!. My only slight problem is i've no space at all near the house, only a large patio area. Think i''ll be forced to repot and leave on patio, then drag into rear extension when really cold. I do understand that without seeing a particular site its hard to no whats best for it. Thanks karl.