Brugmansia Prop

musa_monkey

Brugmansia Prop

Post by musa_monkey »

A question on propping Brugs.

I have a few hybrids and a brugmansia langenbuscher garten which has grown well to 5ft tall this year from soil level in a V formation with two stems.

Question; Is it possible to split the stems to create two individual plants providing both have roots of course ?

and if so is this best left to spring ?

Just curious at this point as i have not tried it before.
flounder

Re: Brugmansia Prop

Post by flounder »

I'd say its possible being a soft wooded plant. Treat cut edges with a fungicide and remember each side has reduced roots. You could do it after leaf fall and treat more like a hardwood cutting or in spring when active growth would help establish quicker.
I think reducing the height would help against, erm, is it transpiration? icon_scratch you know, water loss
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i think i would be inclined to cut off the least desirable stem and attempt to make a very large cutting (extremely possible with these plants)
and then replant the brug straighter to get a more standard look from the remaining stem.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Good point on the cutting that seems the most sensible way to go.
I will read up a bit and assuming it sounds viable will give it a go.

thanks. icon_salut
grub

Post by grub »

They prop dead easy in water Alan, in fact if you break bits off and push them in the pot a fair amount will root.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Thanks Grub, i think i will try it on one of my hybrids first, i grew lots from seed this year so have the odd spare to try it out on.