nana water protection?

Mr List

nana water protection?

Post by Mr List »

Mr List wrote:since straw uses air for insulation of the pstems
and there was discussion that water is better at insulation because it takes longer to cool than air

could you fill a chicken wire cage with 2ltr pop bottles filled with water stacked up in towers and packed in with straw?

anybody tried this before?

i might try with a ring around the base.
Adrian

Re: nana water protection?

Post by Adrian »

If you are going to that length then why not add some anti freeze into the mix, if those bottles froze then youd be in trouble.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

how so?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Mr List wrote:how so?
icon_scratch open the top of the bottles and pour in anti freeze to a suitable mix with your water.

or do you mean how come you'd be in trouble ?

well that ones easy, you dont want frozen bottles around a plant which has a very high water content.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Adrian wrote:
Mr List wrote:how so?
icon_scratch open the top of the bottles and pour in anti freeze to a suitable mix with your water.

or do you mean how come you'd be in trouble ?

well that ones easy, you dont want frozen bottles around a plant which has a very high water content.
Worse, the ice may expand the bottle and break it so the water leaks out all over the place when it thaws out.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mr List try it and let us know how you get on.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

:( don't think i'll bother after them horror story ideas :lol:
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Thank goodness they are water bottles Mr List, I thought on first inspection you were planning to use sausages as protection for your nanas :? :lol: .

Anyway going off your example illustration picture I calculate that to be 28 bottles x 2L= empty hot water tank, every night possibly for weeks, just is not really practical, besides don't think your parents would be too pleased :( :lol:
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

Ken, i like your idea along with the anti freeze added, but it would be difficult to implement though as the bottles aren't designed for stacking.

Ive stacked these for another reason in the past in a donut shape that is the same you require. I cut donut shapes out of hardboard and placed between each layer, also you would need a stake at every 90 degrees into the ground to support the structure.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

this plan has some kinks and it needs properly thinking through.

i was thinking of this for the sikkimensis since most people agree they aren't as tough as basjoo and i thought they might need a bid extra protection.

i don't think it would be a problem with the stacking since they would be held in place with packed straw behind and infront.

it's a bit too late and hashed out to try this plan this year but i might amend next years protection if the sikki don't manage to get through the winter.