Chamaerops Humillis Vulcano & Chamerops Cerifica.

karl66

Chamaerops Humillis Vulcano & Chamerops Cerifica.

Post by karl66 »

Just sketching some rough plans for planting out in spring, can the above palms grow in part sun/ part shade & which one will need the most protection. They are decent size plants. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Chamaerops Humillis Vulcano & Chamerops Cerifica.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I think it's safe to say that cerifera is hardier than vulcano. All very variable though.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

i originally had my vulcano in a shady spot as i read they dont like full sun. Very wind tolerant too.

Its now in the south facing front garden though :lol:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I've read that all Chamaerops are shade-TOLERANT. Doesn't mean to say they thrive on it. My feeling is that the less sun on the leaves the less ripening occurs and unripened leaves on plants like this may be less tolerant of severe frosts. Cerifera grow at high altitude in the Atlas mountains of Morocco - not much shade there icon_sunny
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

My cerifera has doubled in size and, I discovered today when repotting, has sprouted 3 new trunks. It's in full shade apart from maybe an hour mid morning in the height of summer.

My Vulcanos are both in full sun, one planted and one potted and are both doing great.

;)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

GoggleboxUK wrote:My cerifera has doubled in size and, I discovered today when repotting, has sprouted 3 new trunks. It's in full shade apart from maybe an hour mid morning in the height of summer.

My Vulcanos are both in full sun, one planted and one potted and are both doing great.

;)

That makes me feel better about it being in the front icon_cheers In my top 5 fav palms the Vulcano