Planting out big specimen palms.

karl66

Planting out big specimen palms.

Post by karl66 »

As the weather is so mild, & forcast to stay this way for a few wks, i've planted out a waggy of mine with a metre of trunk & given it plenty of insulation & drainage. I'm almost certain they are not that root sensitive & as i have so many in pots & in the house i had to make a decision. The one i've been chewing over more but is putting a 10ft cordy australis in the ground, but i've made the decision and done both. I've also lined both holes with plenty of blood fish & bone plus palmbooster & mulch. It will give me a few sleepless nights over winter but so be it. karl.
Nigel

Re: Planting out big specimen palms.

Post by Nigel »

No problem to plant out trachies Karl. No worries.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nigel wrote:No problem to plant out trachies Karl. No worries.
Nige, I know when trachys get winter damage there new growth comes through as a yellow spear, & can take ages to put itself right. Do you know much regards winter damage on cordys?, i know a lot got knocked out clean but where is best to protect i.e trunk or crown or both. karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I never protected cordies , others can probably help better thanme with that.
Yellow leaves emerging in spring is usually self righting quite quickly as the soil warms up.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

They will be fine unless we have a wintry spell like last winter
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Karl, if nothing else, the roots will at least be better off in the ground, also, what else would you do with a ten foot Cordyline, drag it in the lounge??? :lol:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

You biggest problem with the Cordyline will be the wind, make sure its well braced as the last thing you want is wind rock.
I have found small Cordys anchor much better as small plants but as long as yours has a really big and full rootball you should be alright.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Adrian wrote:You biggest problem with the Cordyline will be the wind, make sure its well braced as the last thing you want is wind rock.
I have found small Cordys anchor much better as small plants but as long as yours has a really big and full rootball you should be alright.
Adrian, the rootball on the 10ft cordys was phenomenal, it was in a 70litre tub & had split the tub right down the one side!. I had to carefully cut the tub away as it was a solid mass of roots that weighed a ton. karl.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Tom2006 wrote:They will be fine unless we have a wintry spell like last winter
Agreed.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

karl66 wrote:
Adrian wrote:You biggest problem with the Cordyline will be the wind, make sure its well braced as the last thing you want is wind rock.
Adrian, the rootball on the 10ft cordys was phenomenal, it was in a 70litre tub & had split the tub right down the one side!. I had to carefully cut the tub away as it was a solid mass of roots that weighed a ton. karl.
You should be fine then.
I know you have already planted it so this isnt really relevent but these can benefit from being planted a bit deeper.