tetrapanax trunk

greendragon

tetrapanax trunk

Post by greendragon »

I just recieved a tetra rex which cost me £15 but it is not what i expected. It has a trunk the size of a 2-3 year old cherry tree. I was expecting it to have hardly any trunk at all is this wierd?
Tom2006

Re: tetrapanax trunk

Post by Tom2006 »

No its normal. They do grow a trunk of sorts as long as the winter doesn't kill them back to the ground.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

a picture could help
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I think its good. You will have more height to your tetrapanax and saves you time building up a trunk.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

I have ordered one and hope it has the same size trunk or bigger, I paid a lot of money, so your sounds like a complete bargain Greendragon icon_thumleft Is it your first time with one of these? I have never had one, but was green with envy at everyones pictures on here so took the plunge :lol:
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

I will post a picture but can't untill tommorow. Basically the trunk looks quite skinny and it is up to my waist. Most tetrapanax that I have seen pictures of here have really thick trunks by the time that they get to waist height (3 ft).

It has new growth coming out and everything but the pot looks to be only 8 ltr, it has a small rootball for such a tall tetrapanax. I ordered one from another website with only a slightly smaller rootball but only 6 inches of trunk.

everything else was as expected I also got Burgundy stem/ Musa Basjoo and Ensete which were great.

:?

Im thinking it is a large sucker that has only recently been removed from a mother plant.
Last edited by greendragon on Mon May 07, 2012 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Errr sorry to say this but when they trunk proper the leaves get smaller, still great plants but much different to smaller plants.
I'll get a pic of mine in a mo.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

OK here are a couple of one in the front garden, sure the leaves arent full size yet but this years pups have leaves twice the size at the moment.
Attachments
015 (Medium).JPG
017 (Medium).JPG
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

same plant in 2008
Attachments
IMG_2206 (Medium).JPG
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

The trunk on mine is about half as thick as that, like I said it looks like the fruit trees they sell at B&Q lol. Not quite as tall, only coming just below waist height.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Thats interesting Adrian, thanks for the pictures, for my purposes a more tree like structure albeit with smaller leaves would be perfect.

Greendragon you probably want bigger leaves, I guess its a waiting game really to see what happens.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but was wondering if anyone can tell me if removing the lower leaves will be okay, I like to encourage it to get taller with a big head on top :? Adrian possibly thats what you did, of did they die and you remove them?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Old leaves just drop off, you can remove them if you wish but mind the (damn what do you call it now :? ) the dust from under the leaves, breath it in and you'll cough a good'un.
Mellissa (if you search) had some big plants, much bigger than mine.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Thanks Adrian, yes I've read about the nasty dust coming off them :( , unfortunate, nothing is perfect, I try and find Melissa's pictures, thanks icon_thumleft
Simba

Post by Simba »

Adrian wrote:OK here are a couple of one in the front garden, sure the leaves arent full size yet but this years pups have leaves twice the size at the moment.
They are really interesting pix. I could definately find a space for a T.Rex like that.... icon_thumleft
Bob

Post by Bob »

After 3 years of total ground coverage from the leaves I now have three growing points and the chance now to get some under planting in!!.