musa winter protection

Mr List

Re: musa winter protection

Post by Mr List »

that doesnt sound cheap
kracker

Post by kracker »

Last /this year i loosely wrapped with fleece then placed large chimney pot over the top covering the top over with bubble wrap i also with my chammy that was knocked back from the year before using the frame from one of those rubbish plastic greenhouses placed the frame over the chammy and then wrapping in fleece
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Mr List wrote:that doesnt sound cheap
It is when you get it from work :lol:
I wouldnt buy it as hessian is much cheaper if brought in a 50m x 1200mm roll and it does the job, I only used the lagging because it was available.
My bigger Brugs had some on them as they were in a cold storage unit and it worked a treat.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

maybe if somebody explains to me exactly how wrapping up musa stems protect them i can better think of new convient ways to protect them.

is it the thickness , the distance away from the outside air that matters?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

A banana stem has a very high water content, try cutting through a stem (it wont hurt the plant and it'll soon grow new leaves) and you'll see the structure and then you'll understand more.
Basically you are trying to stop water freezing so lagging such as the one in the link that I put up touches the stem so no air gaps at all, the fibreglass insulation and the silver foil wrapping does the job of stopping cold entering, you can do the job a different way by pushing canes in around the stem and wrapping fleece or hessian around them making an air gap and trapping warmer air inside but in real cold spells the cold will eventually get through.
Its a case of experimenting over a period of years to find out what works best for you.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

isnt fibreglass what the loft insulation is made from?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes, the one I mentioned uses a very compressed form which is waterproofed by silver foil, its industrial stuff.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

the problem you have is no protection will stop a prolonged freeze from damaging or killing a musa or any plant unless its heated.

The best method is something that traps lots of small layers of air but allows moisture out. I gave up trying to find it though and just have one potted basjoo that i just bring under cover when frosts are forecast.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Basjoo are pretty hardy bananas, not sure about up North but down here the lagging I mentioned is easy to fit, easy to use, clean and it works even in prolonged freezes.
You have to do your own trials and make your own decisions, theres a massive list of products out there that you could use, all you need is a bit of imagination.
When you grow a lot of tender stuff then you look at what can stay out with minimum protection, basjoo is certainly one that doesnt need dragging in every time it gets cold, leave it uncovered and it'll get cut to the ground but is root hardy, give it minimal protection and you'll keep the stem.

Having said that, Tom is from your parts so he'll have more idea on your temps and what you can do, I can only tell you whats practical down here.
kracker

Post by kracker »

Mine is not doing that good probably due to lack of sunlight but it is pupping so im gonna take a pup and stick it in the conservatory for next year ,so the question is how retrieve the pup
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Let it grow on to a good size (two to three foot is good) and then just slice down close to the parent plants stem with either a big knife or an old hand saw, take as much root as you can for guarranteed success.
If taking off a smaller pup then youll need to take a bit of the parents stem with the pup.
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

I wrap mine with straw and fleece and they've come through the last 5 winters without loosing any stem. They are about 12-13 feet now at least.

It's a right pain to do but it works. But if lagging will work then that would be a million times easier!!
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

tom you are rural aren't you?
i am in a city, makes a big difference maybe?

my basjoo got through fine with fleece and straw but it is too messy and cumbersome, i want something i can stick on and off as needed.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Straw is messy but works.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Agreed icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !