Trachycarpus separation.

Post Reply
jungle jas
Posts: 1453
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm
Location: Arthog, Gwynedd, North West Wales.

Trachycarpus separation.

Post by jungle jas » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi all I have the opportunity to buy a twin trunk Trachycarpus, obviously two planted together. Any one tried to separate Trachys? If so with what success? Any advice please as I don't wish to kill them. Should I leave them together? Also I read when moving palms you only need to take 300mm of soil and roots around the trunk! icon_study Doesn't seem a lot to me I have always taken more! What are your thoughts. icon_thumright
Ignorance is bliss. What I don't know, wont worry me!

Jas


Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: Trachycarpus separation.

Post by Tom2006 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Personally I would leave well alone as its more than likely that the two plants are very well grown together, certainly at least by roots. You could risk killing or badly damaging the roots/plants. But no harm in investigating by lifting out of its pot and looking first?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.


User avatar
Dim
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:49 am
Location: cambridge

Re: Trachycarpus separation.

Post by Dim » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:20 pm

I planted 6 fortunei in a few in a garden 3 years ago .... 4 of them have 3 trunks ....

looking good so far, and the largest ones are nearly 6 feet tall, but there will come a time when I will need to cut the smaller ones off at ground level

when I bought them, I was advised not to try and seperate them
"We don't live off the food that we eat,
We live off The Energy IN the food we eat!!!"
- Dr. Carey Reams, Phd. in Biophysics and Biochenistry


Trudytropics
Posts: 8672
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:23 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

Re: Trachycarpus separation.

Post by Trudytropics » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Someone on here has a twin trunked Trachycarpus, it looks brilliant, trunks are quite tall and trees are very healthy looking, unforunately can't remember who it is icon_scratch :? , they have posted pictures on here, arrrrgggh cannot remember. Anyway I'd leave them well alone, you might risk losing one or both if you separate.
"Spring is the time of plans and projects"......Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina.


jungle jas
Posts: 1453
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm
Location: Arthog, Gwynedd, North West Wales.

Re: Trachycarpus separation.

Post by jungle jas » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:07 pm

OK, thanks. That was my thoughts, nice to know we are all singing from the same hymn sheet. Ill err on the side of caution then. icon_thumright
Ignorance is bliss. What I don't know, wont worry me!

Jas


jungle jas
Posts: 1453
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm
Location: Arthog, Gwynedd, North West Wales.

Re: Trachycarpus separation.

Post by jungle jas » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Dim wrote:I planted 6 fortunei in a few in a garden 3 years ago .... 4 of them have 3 trunks ....

looking good so far, and the largest ones are nearly 6 feet tall, but there will come a time when I will need to cut the smaller ones off at ground level
Why? Don't you like the clump effect then Dim.
Ignorance is bliss. What I don't know, wont worry me!

Jas


User avatar
Dim
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:49 am
Location: cambridge

Re: Trachycarpus separation.

Post by Dim » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:12 am

jungle jas wrote:
Dim wrote:I planted 6 fortunei in a few in a garden 3 years ago .... 4 of them have 3 trunks ....

looking good so far, and the largest ones are nearly 6 feet tall, but there will come a time when I will need to cut the smaller ones off at ground level
Why? Don't you like the clump effect then Dim.
the problem is that the 4 are planted on the pavement in front of the the front wall ... (there are 4 columns and each 'clump of trachys is in front of a column)

the owner says that it looks 'odd' with multi-trunked palms and would prefer just one palm in front of each column

so far, I have talked him out of removing the smaller palms and told him to wait a while

I am working there on thursday again and will post a pic
"We don't live off the food that we eat,
We live off The Energy IN the food we eat!!!"
- Dr. Carey Reams, Phd. in Biophysics and Biochenistry


User avatar
Adrian
Posts: 5631
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: Southampton
Contact:

Re: Trachycarpus separation.

Post by Adrian » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Trudytropics wrote:Someone on here has a twin trunked Trachycarpus, it looks brilliant, trunks are quite tall and trees are very healthy looking, unforunately can't remember who it is icon_scratch :? , they have posted pictures on here, arrrrgggh cannot remember. Anyway I'd leave them well alone, you might risk losing one or both if you separate.
I'll give you a clue :wink:
sorry webshots site no longer available
http://www.palmsociety.org.uk


Post Reply