Tiki Hut?.

karl66

Re: Tiki Hut?.

Post by karl66 »

Many thanks, i've found a few suppliers now but either i'm out of touch or these things are seriously expensive!!, do others think £2.5/3.5 k is a lot to spend on one of these? karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:Many thanks, i've found a few suppliers now but either i'm out of touch or these things are seriously expensive!!, do others think £2.5/3.5 k is a lot to spend on one of these? karl.
Sounds about right for a smaller model.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

These things do vary depending on what extra's you spec, i requested full length blinds, roof lining, fitted benches & covers, table. I like the look of simba's but would like the next size up if a deal can be struck, this one seats 6 people, it has a floor perimeter of 2.9 metre's accross. One thing that does worry me is the risk of the roof setting light from a stray firework :lol: . karl.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

3 grand??? :shock:

Blimey, if I were seending that amount I'd have a queue of chippies round the block offering to build me a bespoke one!

:?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Not trying to justify the price but good chippy's dont come cheap!, we have one we use on our job's £200 a day soon add's up. Looking into the quality hut's the roof's are specially fabricated, & construction is top quality. Anyway i shall keep folk informed & put some pic's up when i decide which way to go. karl.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

£200 a day? I'm in the wrong job!

:shock:
grub

Post by grub »

£200 a day has been to going rate for chippy's around here for ages, probably why I do everything myself :lol:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

get Ade in for a week,proper job his is icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
flounder

Post by flounder »

redsquirrel wrote:get Ade in for a week,proper job his is icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Worth it just to see him paddle his boat up the M40 :wink:
grub

Post by grub »

flounder wrote:
redsquirrel wrote:get Ade in for a week,proper job his is icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Worth it just to see him paddle his boat up the M40 :wink:
:lol: It's dried out at the minute, still takes all day to get up the A34 though :evil:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Just looked at the one ade built with the wooden shingles instead of thached, must admit the quality is superb but the thach roof looks more authentic. The more i research them the more i'm convinced they just finish off the tropical garden theme. karl.
dino

Post by dino »

Sounds like you're going to have to pay then karl. Like everything in life though you get what you pay for so it's bound to look superb icon_thumright
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I'd love one too Karl, BUT the price of them is crazy. When I was looking there were some on eBay for 1-2k, but still more than I would want to pay.

There was a company on eBay offering to do gazebo thatch roofs, prices were ok.
You could build it all yourself, then get someone in to do the thatch.
Rustic ones look better IMO, so if it's a bit rough round the edges it will look more authentic lol.

They make a huge difference to a garden, just look at ade's or simba's, both different but both stunning features.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

in africa they wouldnt spend 3k on one
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Karl just check out a few of the older proper thatched huts around, they dont stay looking good for long.
I wanted to use thatch on mine but the price was just to high for what I wanted, in the end I used feather edged boarding that cost next to nothing.
The cheapest way has to be something like the structures that Chris has built at Akamba, authentic too.
Paul Spracklin used corrugated iron sheets on his and it looked the part.
Once your palms have been in the ground for a few years then you'll have loads of your own palm leaves to throw up on to a hut roof for an authentic look.
Another thing to consider before paying a load of money out, will it get used ? mine very rarely has anyone sat in there, Ive had a small table and chairs and huge garden bean bags in there but everyone prefers to sit in our garden sofas, the hut is just something stuck in the corner of the garden.