How are you protecting your Musa sikkimensis this winter?

cordyman

How are you protecting your Musa sikkimensis this winter?

Post by cordyman »

Last year I dug it out, wrapped in fleece and put in the shed, it rotted and stem collapsed, thankfully a pup appeared and regrew icon_cheers Although never got as big this year as its mum :(

I'm going to try keeping it in my plastic greenhouse this year, more airflow, 100% more light, and instead of wrapping fleece close to the stem, i'm just going to drape a fleece bag over it all the way to the ground to cover the pot too

Dug out today and put some fresh soil around roots, added a cane, and fleece bag.

Will it work?

Adrian

Re: How are you protecting your Musa sikkimensis this winter

Post by Adrian »

The one in the front garden gets no protection as its close to the house but down the back garden I have a couple with industrial pipe lagging over them.
They are cut down in height to the size I want for next year and at this size much easier to protect.
In the past I have used a wigwam of canes wrapped in fleece, Ive used a pop up fleece tube and Ive used just a bit of fleece and also gone without any protection.
Seems like I'm the only one to think it but sikkis are hardier and faster than basjoos.

Here are the sikkis (and a basjoo in the middle) all snug for whatever winter throws at them.
Attachments
028 (Medium).JPG
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Love the look of that industrial lagging Adrian drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1

so quick and simple!
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes its dead easy and the fibreglass inside stays dry, its easy to double up as well for bigger trunks as each has a sticky tape down the length to pull them together.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

anywhere to buy this, b+q/homebase etc?
Dim

Post by Dim »

I saw a similar method on another thread (using pipe lagging) .... only prob that I see with that, is that there is very little air circulation as the outside of the cladding/lagging has silver foil ... the stem may end up rotting, but I am just guessing?

I opted for the straw method using tree guards that are made of plastic mesh ... stuffed the straw inside to protect the stem, then wrapped fleece around the outside .... and added a teracotta pot over the top to keep the rain out
jezza

Post by jezza »

repotted and left in a heated greenhouse.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I've given mine to my grandma in law to look after
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

all my sikkis in the ground last year lost the pstems so this year i have grown them all in pots and have now cut off all the leaves and put the pots in the cellar.

should be fine like this i hope.
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

Still got the one you gave me Adrian. Last year I dug it up, wrapped the stem in fleece and left it in the shed. It grew ok this year once we got some heat.

I'm planning to do the same this year. It will be at an angle this year, the pups is over a metre tall.

The seeds I start about about 2 year ago, in the picture are going to be left in the shed unless theres room in the greenhouse.
Attachments
photo-(5).jpg
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

The one in the tub - straight in the frost-free greenhouse as soon as the cold requires it.

The one in the ground against a sheltered sunny south west facing wall - lagging and brushwood roll and around p-stem.