Ricinus N Z Purple overwintered indoors?

jungle jas

Ricinus N Z Purple overwintered indoors?

Post by jungle jas »

I have a load of these that grew very badly this year due to lack of sun. I have been threatened with my first frost this weekend and am considering digging them up and growing them on over winter in an unheated room for a good start next year. Any one tried this and if so, with what success or otherwise? Thanks icon_thumright
harryc

Re: Ricinus N Z Purple overwintered indoors?

Post by harryc »

Whats the point in a half normal summer they grow from seed propagated in April to over 6 feet by the end of summer and thats here in West Mids.

H
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

harryc wrote:Whats the point in a half normal summer they grow from seed propagated in April to over 6 feet by the end of summer and thats here in West Mids.

H
I suppose the point is I have them, why let them be cut to the ground! Also there is never enough space in the propagator in the spring, were as I have a very big house with enough space to keep them overwinter. For me its a no brain-er. icon_thumright
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I have tried in the past with small NZ Purple plants but never had a sniff of success, even kept one potted from seed to see if it was root disturbance that they didnt like but no.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Adrian wrote:I have tried in the past with small NZ Purple plants but never had a sniff of success, even kept one potted from seed to see if it was root disturbance that they didnt like but no.
Thanks for that Adrian, Ill still give it a go but I wont expect to much! I also have got a couple still in the seedling pots. I will let you know if I succeed. icon_thumright
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

My dads cut them to about a foot high before and they've made it through winter and resprouted and grew really fast as they already had a good root system. Might be worth trying on a few but protecting them as its warmer down here and he didn't protect
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I dug up a small stunted R. zanzibarensis that had been pidgeon-holed in a space between two shrubs. The crowded roots prevented any vigorous growth.

I potted it in a four inch pot and kept it almost dry in the frost-free greenhouse until the spring. I gave it more room at the root in it's second year and got a nine foot plant by the following Autumn.

I would think you would need to find the coolest room with a sunny window for any chance of success with your NZ purple.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks Greville and Dave for the extra information, mine are still in the ground at the moment as I didn't get the frost I was forecast. I read somewhere they will take 1 or 2 degrees of frost is this fact or fiction. icon_thumright