New Zealand christmas Tree.

jungle jas

New Zealand christmas Tree.

Post by jungle jas »

Topical at this time of year! I have been looking for some different evergreen shrubs and found Metrosideros Excelsus. It is suppose to be hardy in zones 7-10. Any one growing this? Any advise good or bad? Thanks. icon_thumright
MikeC

Re: New Zealand christmas Tree.

Post by MikeC »

I had one last year. It copped a little bit of frost damage and then for some reason went into total decline, defoliated and died.
IMG_0377.JPG
If I can get some more larger specimens at reasonable prices I would try again, but so far I've not had any luck with these.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Mine was metrosideros umbellata.

http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=2925
http://www.bluebellnursery.com/catalogu ... /M/6634030

Supposed to be one of the hardiest forms.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks MIke, what was the temperature of the frost that defoliated It.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

jungle jas wrote:Thanks MIke, what was the temperature of the frost that defoliated It.
I'm not sure to be honest, probably -3 or -4. I was surprised how tender it was to be honest.

Still worth a go but I reckon it's a shrub for coast of Cornwall and the like.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks Mike, certainly not zone 7. Thought it was to good to be true. :roll: icon_thumright
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Ditto what Mike said really, when they succumb to frost they seem to deteoriate pretty quickly, I think you'd need something solid over-head too, ideally, keep it in your conservatory, or look for the other type, or a Callistemon.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Metrosideros umbellata tolerate temperatures as low as -10°c here in New Zealand. They are growing in an Alpine environment that is cold and wet - Summers are only around 18°c
Metrosideros excelsa is much more tender at around -5°c
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Rod wrote:Metrosideros umbellata tolerate temperatures as low as -10°c here in New Zealand. They are growing in an Alpine environment that is cold and wet - Summers are only around 18°c
Metrosideros excelsa is much more tender at around -5°c
That puts them in the same category as Cordyline Australis, but where as Cordies are fine, I lost my Metrosideros umbellata to a tiny bit of frost damage.

I will try them again, but only if I can get a big plant in a sale.

icon_salut