coleus cuttings

mumfie

coleus cuttings

Post by mumfie »

they've all rooted and have been sat in this position since sept/october. i occasionally water.

can i carry on as such until summer or do i need to re-pot? (or even feed?)
Attachments
2012-12-28 10.55.42.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: coleus cuttings

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I would repot in March and plant out in June.
mumfie

Post by mumfie »

thanks kris. it's the first time i've tried it and i don't fancy buying much next year.

ps. i've checked on my ensete in the loft and it's looking really well. (will be it's 2nd over-winter success hopefully). hope to plant out next year instead of pot. icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

mumfie wrote:thanks kris. it's the first time i've tried it and i don't fancy buying much next year.

ps. i've checked on my ensete in the loft and it's looking really well. (will be it's 2nd over-winter success hopefully). hope to plant out next year instead of pot. icon_thumleft
Good stuff. The March date is rather loose. If they start growing a lot in Feb then might be better to take cuttings of cuttings then grow those on.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I have bought some seeds to have a go at growing
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Codfather wrote:I have bought some seeds to have a go at growing
Sanatic grew Coleus from seed last year, and he seemed quite happy with them
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Kristen »

I grew coleus from seed last year (two specific varieties, rather than "Mixed" colours), "Wizard Velvet Red" and "Wizard Scarlet" - 500 seeds were a bit less than £5 from Moles - not sure what the yellow/green one was in the picture below!) and was very happy with then.

WRT the cuttings I would leave them in their pot and pot on in Spring for the reason that they will need more room once potted on so can be "held" by not potting them on. If you have space, light and heat then potting on earlier will give you bigger plants when planting out in May.

Images on my blog of some varieties I bought from Dobbies including Autumn Rainbow, Illumination, Pagoda, Pink Chaos (a bit like Inky Fingers), Saturn, Walter Turner. I particularly liked Pagoda which had much larger leaves than the others, and as such I think was well suited to an Exotic theme.