How hardy is Euphorbia Blackbird?

jungle jas

How hardy is Euphorbia Blackbird?

Post by jungle jas »

Hi ,would like to grow one of the above, any Idea how hardy it is? Thanks.
Mr List

Re: How hardy is Euphorbia Blackbird?

Post by Mr List »

dunno but should be hardy.

mine died for no real reason.
it looks exactly the same as euphorbia purpurea which is much cheaper and easier to get hold of.
that one is fully hardy.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Very hardy is the answer as two I planted 5 years ago in a very exposed garden even survived the very cold 2010/11 winter were the temp dropped to -12 and still look great to this day, I have even found a seedling underneath one of them and promptly potted it up. One garden I work in that have several planted have the odd seedling pop up as well. I have also had them survive being in pots frozen solid for weeks a time and still look fine, in fact one which was left for about a year on a gravel path rooted through the drainage holes and into the gravel and when it came time to move it some roots were left in the gravel and where the root (cuttings,snapped bits) were a plant popped up the next spring. Don't get me wrong they are not the slightest bit invasive like the common green form and usually just produce a nice round mound of dark purple/black/green foliage that produce bright lime green bracts, I was just giving a example of how happy they have been over the last few bad winters.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

And just to say blackbird is quite a bit darker black/purple than purpurea but they can give a very similar effect if you can not get hold of blackbird.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks Lads. icon_thumright