Can I buy a Fatsia polycarpa?

DiCasS

Re: Can I buy a Fatsia polycarpa?

Post by DiCasS »

This is the same seller as the seller that sold us our seeds. Mine also look the same. They haven't shown any split leaves yet just a jagged edge like in Coolcool's. Be interesting to see what they look like then they grow up.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

brendan wrote:Looks the same as my polycarpa seedlings.If i knew i could sell them for that money i would have sown more.That is a lot of money for a seedling and hes got to send it from france so I hope its packaged well. Kristen have yours started to show split leaves yet ?
Brendan, if you have any Polycarpa seedlings I'd be interested:)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

brendan wrote:Kristen have yours started to show split leaves yet ?
No, but judging from that earlier thread mine were dormant and took a long time, relatively, to germinate, so I suspect everyone else's are ahead of mine.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

leunerj wrote:there is a form called Edward Needham which is much more attractive.
Won't come true from seed AFAIK, and hard to propagate, hence they are expensive to buy. Mine was £20-£25 for a relatively small plant, a nursery sized plant would be more I think.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Kristen wrote:
leunerj wrote:there is a form called Edward Needham which is much more attractive.
Won't come true from seed AFAIK, and hard to propagate, hence they are expensive to buy. Mine was £20-£25 for a relatively small plant, a nursery sized plant would be more I think.
The Edward Needham form is grown from seed so must come true. Lower Kenneggy nurseries which is where most of ours have originated has two large Fatsia Polycarpa Edward Needham forms planted out the front when I was there in March one was netted and covered in berries and the one next to it had been stripped by the birds.Im going back in May so will ask how he got on with them.
http://www.lowerkenneggynurseries.co.uk/
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I hope that's not the same seller I bought palm seedlings from 2 years ago, he sent my Jubaea in a padded envelope :shock:

Mind you, it survived the trip!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

brendan wrote:The Edward Needham form is grown from seed so must come true.
Thanks, I stand corrected. Looks like there is some variability, due to it being seed raised, hence the name "Edward Needham Form" I guess.

I found this earlier thread useful:
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 65#p346665
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Mmm, this is the bigger one Coolcool is selling, is this one a polycarpa would you say? I suspect this is how mine will look when they are bigger. http://cgi.ebay.fr/Fatsia-polycarpa-pot ... 4abcf5e279

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

countrylover wrote:Instead of waiting for seeds to germinate here http://cgi.ebay.fr/Fatsia-polycarpa-1-p ... 337dedfbed you can buy young and adult plants. And cheap postage for a young one :wink:
I went ahead and ordered one. Hope it is a polycarpa! Worth risking as I really want one.
pdid

Post by pdid »

It looks like it could be although not the Edward Needham form. This was mine last year:
polycarpa.jpg
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

I got it. A little smaller than I imagined but there we are. Well packaged.

Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

rburrena I'm sorry to say that looks very unlike my polycarpa. Mines Edward Needham, it was small when it arrived, however even the tiniest of leaves were split and looked like a very small polycarpa straightaway. Also the leaves are dull and not shiny like the one you have pictured. I could be wrong here, but I'll bet that does not grow up to be a fatsia polycarpa. Others may disagree however, not really sure what yours is, I guess time will tell :D
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Trudytropics wrote:rburrena I'm sorry to say that looks very unlike my polycarpa. Mines Edward Needham, it was small when it arrived, however even the tiniest of leaves were split and looked like a very small polycarpa straightaway. Also the leaves are dull and not shiny like the one you have pictured. I could be wrong here, but I'll bet that does not grow up to be a fatsia polycarpa. Others may disagree however, not really sure what yours is, I guess time will tell :D

Thanks for the info, I do hope you're wrong, but I do have my doubts, the glossiness of the leaves doesn't seem right to me, but I am far from experienced. Like you say I will have to wait and see. I think it really is too small to have split leaves however, the photo maybe doesn't show that, it is literally 3cm tall.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

You could try Exclusive Plants, Tel 01326 341496. £17-00
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

jungle jas wrote:You could try Exclusive Plants, Tel 01326 341496. £17-00
Thanks for the tip. I will see how it goes with my seedling, if I have no luck I might give these guys a go :)