Mulching.

karl66

Mulching.

Post by karl66 »

I've got certain area's of grass that even in late spring/early summer is very boggy and not good to mow or look at!!. I'm thinking of covering it in bark chipping's with a weed membrane underneath, will the membrane do the job of killing the grass underneath?, as it will be a mudbath if i try to remove, saying that it's muddy now. karl.
Trudytropics

Re: Mulching.

Post by Trudytropics »

It might kill it Karl, though If it were me, I'd use a strong weedkiller first on the grass area, obviously being careful, then put down membrane and bark :D
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok trudy thanks, another idea is to lay 10mm pea gravel instead of mulch?, got to be better than grass that never dries out properly , ive spent a lot of time & money already trying to improve the drainage on the grass. karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Well, today was another lost day workwise as snow prevented me climbing on roof's even though most of the ground is fine. I've started marking out some path's in the soggy lawn area. i think i'm going to cut a deep zig/zag path right through part's of the lawn & make almost a moat effect either side which will allow the grass to be cut properly without having to install a solid edge detail. anyone else done this & have any pic's for a few idea's. karl.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I would wait until the next couple of weeks have passed because it looks like generally it will being drying up. If/when it does I would just kill the grass with weedkiller and then cover like you say with a good membrane and then a mulch. However, it would probably be much better to lift the turf and dig in loads of sand and grit first as whatever mulch you put on will just become waterlogged anyway.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Sounds like a Gunnera bed to me, also Eucalyptus and Salix would love it . If it won't drain plant up what will do well :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Delboy »

If the grounds no good for plants how about Building a pond?

The top lawn in my garden gets boggy, i wanted a pond but having 2 young kids put a stop to that idea.
Ponds look cool in a exotic garden.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

It's not that it's no good for plants but it's the sheer soggy mess in place's that even in dry weather doesent mow properly. I've started to take section's of grass away as i dont really wont to put weedkiller on as i have far to may plant's that could be effected, good quality bark looks great amongst palm's & i'm even toying with the idea of eventually doing away with all the grass in favour of bark mulch, also when my tikki hut's arrive they will go more with the theme i'm creating. Dave i planted 2 gunnera in a boggy spot last sep/oct but although the leaves have gone the main centre of the plant looks soggy & dead!, is this normal with small 5/7 litre plants?, i'm hoping for a spring recovery from them. karl.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

The centre of a gunnera in winter is like a pale spikey lump. It should be quite firm to the touch.

Definitely a no go for a liner pond but maybe a clay lined natural pool?
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

It's normal for gunnera to lose it's leaves after the first frost. However you are supposed to protect the crown with the dead leaves or some fleece. The crown is not fully hardy if unprotected from what I've read.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

greendragon wrote:It's normal for gunnera to lose it's leaves after the first frost. However you are supposed to protect the crown with the dead leaves or some fleece. The crown is not fully hardy if unprotected from what I've read.
Yes I use the old leaves folded over the top and also a thick mulch virtually covering the entire growing point.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Many thanks, i understand the overwintering requirement's of the gunnera it's just i've not had these in my garden till last year & i feel i've lost these two already!!.karl.