Wind Chill.

jungle jas

Wind Chill.

Post by jungle jas »

Hi lads and lassies, Do plants feel the wind chill factor? I have been promised a frost tonight, :roll: rising to +2c tomorrow. With a wind chill making it feel -2c. Normally I uncover my plants during the day if it rises above freezing. Should I uncover them tomorrow with the -2c wind chill. Thanks.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Wind Chill.

Post by Dave Brown »

Only warm blooded animals feel wind chill as the wind blows away any warm layer of air around the body causing the skin temperature to drop towards the ambient. Human skin is normally at 31C.

Windchill does affect plants, not in that they will feel cold like us, but the wind will cool the plant down to ambient quicker. For plants that must not freeze this is a problem as temps below zero with wind will cause them to freeze through more quickly.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Cold dry winds can also burn some plants badly, as the wind increases evaporation from the leaves, but the plant is unable to replace the lost water as its sap is frozen. So the foliage gets freeze-dried and killed. Hardier species can resist this by closing their stomata ('breathing pores') to cut water loss.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks lads, I noticed neither of you stuck your necks out as to weather :roll: I should keep them covered or not. :lol: :lol: :lol: Any way it feels ruddy cold to me so Ive kept them covered up. icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

jungle jas wrote:Thanks lads, I noticed neither of you stuck your necks out as to whether :roll: I should keep them covered or not. :lol: :lol: :lol: Any way it feels ruddy cold to me so Ive kept them covered up. icon_thumright
I would agree, they will be ok for a few days wrapped, but start unwrapping again once it warms up, or the wind drops. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jungle jas »

Went out later in the morning, full sun no wind almost barbecue weather. drunken_smilie1 So Ive unwrapped them again as the weather looks as if it may get colder over the next few days. I reckon, so far this year Ive had almost as many sunny days as in the whole of the last year. icon_cheers I hope this continues as it makes so much difference to the growth rate to all the plants on my south facing window. icon_thumright

EDIT>

Thought I had better amend this post before some one sent the men round with the white coats. :roll:

I live in a house were if the Sun shines, the back garden can bear no resemblance to the real world! I have just stopped work foe a cup of tea and went round to the front of the house to find strong northeasterly winds cold enough to make an Eskimo weep. :oops: The back is still nice and sunny though. icon_thumright
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

jungle jas wrote:Thanks lads, I noticed neither of you stuck your necks out as to weather :roll:
I didn't want the wind chill freezing my neck :DD
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Conifers wrote:
jungle jas wrote:Thanks lads, I noticed neither of you stuck your necks out as to weather :roll:
I didn't want the wind chill freezing my neck :DD
:lol: :lol: :lol: icon_thumright
kata

Post by kata »

I felt it at Sainsburys this afternoon,

One more journey out to the bank tomorrow and I don't care once I am home...sposed to snow, but will be bitterly cold even if it does'nt.

I did put my Ensete out in sun but soon fetched her in due to cold winds. They don't like wind chill.

icon_cheers :mrgreen: